20

Chapter Twenty | Sometimes

You can tell a lot about a person by going through their stuff.

If you were to go through my book bag you'd find the obvious; binders, notebooks, and pens — but you would also find chapstick. Walking around with dried lips was a big pet peeve of mine. I always make sure to keep some in my backpack and some also in my locker as well. You would also find hand sanitizers, because I hate germs, and school is a playground for germs. The final and most important is a pack of gum. I love gum, and it also doesn't hurt to carry an extra piece around just in case someone else needed a piece as well.

However, what was in Asher's bag was completely dissimilar. For the most part his backpack didn't have much, but I wasn't too surprised considering he doesn't seem like the type to do work in class let alone bring it home and work. He had two notebooks, one more damaged than the other. I didn't bother going through either. Also in his bag were a pair of tangled up headphones and a half eaten pack of Sourpatch Kids.

I didn't tell him that I went through his bag when I gave it to him yesterday, he didn't need to know that. People can judge me for it, but I have a natural curiosity and I couldn't help myself. If I closed my eyes, I could still smell that familiar cinnamon scent that always lingered on him in the bag.

However, I knew that smell was about to intensify the minute I drove into the Montgomery's cobblestone driveway. To my surprise, it wasn't that difficult to find my way here. Luckily, Asher and his family lived in the same neighborhood as Ryder and a few other kids from school. I was familiar with the area and knew my way around a little bit.

The Montgomery's lived in a nice house, I guess. It was large, two floors with a modern feel. Their garage was the first thing I spotted when I pulled into the yard. It was large and I could make out the many cars parked outside and inside. I remember Asher used to always brag in elementary school that his father had more cars than everybody's family combined, and I would always roll my eyes and shove him for even thinking he could speak to me, but seeing it now, in person, I can see that he wasn't entirely lying.

However, even with a yard full of extravagant vehicles, the only person home was Braxton. He had informed me beforehand through text that he has the house to himself today so we can work in "peace". I had rolled my eyes at the message. Nothing is ever peaceful when Claremont's and Montgomery's are involved together.

When I get out my car and made my way to the door, I pressed the doorbell. A few moments had passed, before the front door swung open to reveal a very relaxed looking Braxton. He was dressed in very athleisure attire which made my choice of a Burberry trench coat paired with a black turtle neck and matching black jeans underneath seem a little much, but I'm not complaining. Plus, I have to meet my father down at the company after this so it's best that I dressed the way I did.