18: A Fool's Heartbreak

-Selfish choices tend to scar-

2 years later

Suppressing a small smile, Demir kept one hand secured around a ring box hiding away in his coat pocket and the other clenched in a nervous fist. These emotions...everything felt so overwhelmingly fresh to him, and he couldn't help but feel warm at the adorable sight of Maya rambling away about the latest book she read. 

Time had rolled past quickly, and Demir never thought that he could feel this happy and alive, again. Marrying Maya had turned out to be such a pleasant surprise. This woman...she was different, so unique and...just so special. It was like an exhilarating breather for him. Emotions that he thought he would never feel again had literally started flooding his veins. In fact, this time...these emotions felt even more powerful and real. He had felt them after facing a great deal of grief. 

Now looking up at the clearing sky, he rubbed the nape of his neck and turned back to gaze to look at his wife who was quickly taking a sip of orange juice. Sometimes he felt lost in her words...so captivated and amused. It felt like Maya had shown him a completely different side of the world; her priorities...her interests.

 Always being fed from a silver spoon, Demir really had no idea how so many moments really added beauty to life. It wasn't about glamour, gold and riches...it was breathing in the pure emotions and watching hope emerge again. 

Smirking as Maya visibly grew awkward under his intense gaze, Demir began pulling out the ring box from his pocket. This was the moment. His heartbeat turned painfully erratic. He had been deciding for months to give Maya something to express his true emotions. They had started off such on a disgustingly bitter foot, and there was still an element of uncertainty between them, so he felt like he should really do something to show his wife how serious he had become about her. Also, his past was in a safe place now. Thinking about Meeran no longer gave him the pangs...he had accepted that his first wife was in a better place, and now wanted to completely move on. 

"Maya," he spoke out loud, causing her rambling to come to a halt.

"Yes?" she softly spoke, taking another sip of orange juice. 

It was extremely hot in the gardens. The small umbrella shade they were sitting under didn't have enough layers to keep the heat away...and the main outdoor cooler hardly seemed to be working. 

"Umm...I have something for you." He pulled out the ring, feeling his soul childishly shake with excitement for her reaction. She did that to him. She made a cold and spoiled soul like him not feel afraid of showing his true childish side. 

"What?" She put away the juice cup, turning her wooden chair fully towards his. Her gaze...his weakness...fully focused on him. 

"It's a ring. Something I should have given you a long time ago." He opened the ring box, profusely gulping down those emotions that scared him into thinking she might reject the present. Maya wasn't like that. Despite whatever, his wife would never be obnoxious to anyone. He had seen her kindness...her love for others. It was admirable. 

"Oh, my goodness, it's beautiful, Demir!" she delicately grabbed hold of the ring and began examining it. 

"No, I can't," she spoke after a minute, placing the ring back. "It's too much. I can't-"

"No," Demir shook his head in amusement, giving her the ring box. "I brought this especially for you. You have to wear it from now onwards."

"But, Demir..." He could see her eyes grow watery as her expressions gleamed with awe and gratitude. "Why buy me such an expensive gift?" Her voice cracked with watery happiness.