Chapter 7: Date

The short, adorable frog girl was standing in front of me, as a breeze came into the house, and the sky clouded over.

"Tsu-chan! Step in! You look nice."

I just blurted that last bit out without thinking. I stood aside as she stepped in, and I closed the door.

"Thank you, kero." She looked around, "You have a nice house. It's cosy, I like it."

I smiled, "Thanks! Oh, so I was thinking of a few things for us to do, and I wasn't sure what exactly to decide on, so I have a question to ask before I can fully decide. Are you more indoorsy or outdoorsy?"

She didn't hesitate to answer, not even putting her finger on her chin as she replied, "I prefer outdoors."

I nodded, "Alright then, in that case, would you like to go on a walk and then come back here for a meal? If you're into movies we can watch one if you like."

She smiled at the idea, "That sounds nice, let's do that. Where are we going?"

I put on my shoes and a jumper, as I grabbed an umbrella big enough for the two of us in case it started raining like it was earlier when I cleaned the house.

"Just to the park where we had our picnic the other day. It's too late to see the sun set, but we can see the whole city lit up, and it's just far enough away that we should be able to see some stars!"

Her eyes twinkled slightly as she held her hands behind her back. She waited as I got ready and I moved towards the door, "Ready?"

She nodded and stepped out before me as I took my wallet and phone, and closed the door behind me. We started walking down my driveway beside my garden, the fact that it had been raining was evident by the puddles that were all over the roads and running down besides the kerbs and into the sewer drains.

It wasn't raining right now, so I just held the umbrella folded up in my hand. Tsu stood beside me as we walked. I tried to think of something to talk to her about.

"So uhm... What's your favourite colour?"

She giggled a little. "You can ask me something more personal than that you know. But it's dark green." She glanced down at her dress and twirled her hair in her left index finger.

I chuckled a bit, "Makes sense. You wanna take turns?"

"Sure. What's your family like? I didn't see either of your parents at home."

I was quiet for a moment. Probably a little too long, because she ended up saying,"If it's too personal I can ask a dif-"

"No no, it's fine." I cut her off. "Sorry, I was just thinking. It's been a while since I thought about us as a family unit. My mom... A few years ago my mom passed away."

Tsu held my left arm and looked at me deeply. "I'm so sorry..."

"It's... It's alright. I've already gone through my five stages. My dad hasn't, though. He still grieves a fair bit. He's a mechanic, does a lot of contract work so he's often not at home, especially when I am. He used to be, well, a dick quite frankly. He would often say mean things to me or put me down, he didn't have a very good childhood himself. He was never really a bad person; he just had trouble expressing himself."

I paused for another moment as more clouds started rolling in as the sky was getting a little darker due to the time.

"It damaged my confidence. A lot. That along with several other factors in my life made it hard for me to get along with other people, especially when it came to meeting new people and making friends. When my mom died, we moved, ended up coming here. With my education starting to suffer and my future prospects looking grim I decided I wanted to get into the hero business. I want to help people, and there's a lot more tsunamis and earthquakes here than Ireland."