Chapter 9

The first to trot into the male's cell like she owned it was Cassandra. Fenris chuckled slightly as she swaggered up to the nearly-dead male. She sniffed him slightly.

What's your name?

Her voice resounded in his head too as she pulled him into the link. The dying wolf didn't react physically.

I don't know, finally came his raspy voice.

Cassandra tilted her head and Fenris was overwhelmed by sadness that could only be hers. He got up, desperate to console her and nuzzled her cheek.

They really did a number on you didn't they? his Little Wolf asked the un-named wolf.

With the way everyone's looking at me and acting around me, it seems they did. It sure hurts all over.

As long as you feel pain, you're alive, came Beta Ranalufr's wise words.

     Fenris nodded at him and retreated to his soulmate's side as a medical team rushed in with water and a stretcher. He hoped to the Gods the wolf survived, even if it was just to find out if the "goddess" he spoke of was real. He wished for him she was, because he didn't know what he would do if Cassandra were to die.

•••

     Hati stalked up to the gates of Red Hawk City uninterrupted. Her paw prints were confident behind her as she held her head low to the ground in a slightly menacing position. She was less likely to be bothered.

The bond inside her tugged, a painful reminder that she was far from where she was supposed to be. How long had it been? Weeks? Months?

How long since she had seen him?

How long since she had cuddled him?

How long since she had hunted with him, for him?

It seemed time had stopped the second he had been taken.

Sometimes, she felt the echo of his pain, a whisper of his touch, the ghost of three words whispered over and over again.

I

Love

You.

Hati thought her heart had gone as cold as her pelt. After all, the Moon could only shine so bright after the Sun had been taken away.

And so here she was, in front of the gates leading into Red Hawk City, suspicious guards looking down at her from the ramparts. She barked angrily at them.

Aren't you going to let me in?

Either Beta Ranalufr or Alpha Cassandra must first agree before we open the gates, female.

And have you sent word to them?

The guard leered down at her.

With a little persuasion...

He had barely finished before his companion punched his face, hard, and pushed him over the ramparts.