Chapter 32: Backstab

For all the happiness of the day, I never thought that I'd ever feel a frown on my face again. Yet there it was, sprouting like an unwanted weed on my mouth, especially when I recognized who it was in the room. The person that I least expected.

Adjusting his thick glasses, Steven Blackwell was polite enough to gesture to the sofa, issue an invitation. "Sit, please," he said, in this deep, friendly voice. "I'd been waiting all evening for you."

"Pax! Neil!" Someone crashed behind us just when I thought the world was going to be over. Someone who sounded excited. Someone who had no clue.

Neil and I were pushed forward in the room a little bit more, but Hanz was overjoyed behind us. "I think we won!" he said. "Well, you won! You were crazy, you guys! The crowd loved it!"

He would have said more, had Audra not come in there too. Locked the door. Yet one good look inside, and there was a gasp coming from her. "Blackwell?!"

"Hello. . ." Blackwell seemed to be enjoying this, being the uninvited guest. Once more, he signaled to the sofa, while I tried not to scream. "Please, we barely have time," he said.

Audra pushed her way inside, as I knew she would, followed directly by Hanz.

But even before they had reached the man, Doctor Blackwell had drawn a gun.

Seeing this, I dashed to Audra's side, began yelling, "What do you want?!" I said. "Isn't it enough what you did? Just leave us alone already!"

I tried to push Audra behind me, but she was adamant to stay in front.

Steven Blackwell, suited in a black coat and tie, his hair still unkempt, lowered his gun, gave me an amused smile. "You are Pax, aren't you?" he asked. "You're so much different than the school reports had given to me. So many things must have transpired."

I gritted my teeth. School reports my ass. And now what?

Obviously, we couldn't hurt him what with the gun, but I would really like to try.

Blackwell's gaze then traveled to Hanz, who it looked like he wasn't seeing for the first time. "Ahh, Peterson." The doctor acknowledged. "You're here too, as expected. With your small group. How are you holding up, by the way?"

"What do you mean?" Hanz asked.

"Weren't you aware?"

Hanz's heavy breaths filled the room, while I was still thinking how I could take Audra away from this, while accidentally not hurting anyone except for Blackwell. But then my blood turned to ice when Steven said, "Your mothers. I'm sorry for your loss."

For a few seconds, there was silence in the room. It was as if all the sounds had been vacuumed into a vortex.

My knees turned weak. My breaths coming in short spurts. But even so, I didn't make much noise, especially when Hanz said, "My mothers?"

Blackwell shrugged. "You were there in Leighton's house when I explained it to her parents weren't you? You were the ones who caused the fire?" He paused. "I was so sure that day that you must have heard. But apparently you didn't."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Hanz's voice had raised. Though there was a lilt to it that sounded all wrong. Stepping forward more, I could see his hands trembling, his massive frame beginning to shake.

Yet he held his ground as Blackwell spoke. "Well it seems that there is a misunderstanding here, children." Steven's calculating eyes went to Audra, then to me, coming to a quick understanding. "You knew, didn't you? And you didn't tell him?"