5.

Amara stayed in the shadows, till Lord Rowan's footman, Juanito found her. Her guided the blind advisor toward her. She felt uncomfortable. What could a man of his stature want from her? 

"Greetings, Lady Amara," Juanito bowed. She smiled, confused why the footman was bowing. Lord Rowan carried a heavy wooden stick to help him walk.  He wore a dark brown suit. His silver hair was neatly combed and parted. "Stay nearby," Rowan instructed his footman as he sat down at a chair. 

"Of course," the manservant left. 

Rowan was ancient. He was a vampire, like the Queen. His face was rounded however, Amara could tell he wasn't always like this. His grey eyes stood out in the golden environment. He cleared his throat, "Good evening, Amara," He greeted her with a warm smile. She smiled back, "Good evening, Sir." 

"How are you enjoying yourself?" He asked. She took a moment to search her mind for a subtle answer, "It is a little overwhelming." 

"It's your first party, isn't it?" 

"Yes, sir." 

"Tell me about it."

She complied. She started telling him things that she had never seen. For example the orchestra. She had never heard such a beautiful melody. She told him about how she found some dresses hideous to which Rowan laughed heartily. He surprised her by agreeing with her. He told her he'd seen some hideous dresses in his youth, back before he had the gift of sight. They talked for some more time before she noticed, the Crown Prince walk toward them. His cold blue eyes were focused on the blind advisor that sat next to her. 

"The Crown Prince is approaching you, Sir," she told him. The old man smiled, "It's about time he did."

Amara didn't hear what he said. Her eyes were trained on the Prince, who walked with an air of confidence with precise strides. She could not look away from him. His face was stoic and expressionless. She swallowed, her throat suddenly dry. She bit her lower lip nervously. She tore her eyes away from him and looked the other way. Her skin scorched when he stopped short in front of Lord Rowan, "Rowan." 

"Damien, son, how have you been?" Rowan's face lit up with a smile. He extended his left hand toward him. The Prince caught the old man's hand between us, "I am as I was." He paused, "You look well." 

"Yes, I am well." Rowan patted his hand, "Have you meet Amara, she's the new governess." 

Amara's heart pounded. Her eyes widened in surprise and anxiety took over her. She couldn't understand why Rowan would want to introduce her to the Prince. She felt the heat creep up her neck to her cheeks. She gave him a small smile, "It's nice to meet you, Your Highness." She bowed. She tried to keep an even voice. Her hands became clammy and sweaty. She tried not to wipe her hands on the expensive gown. 

He nodded acknowledging her presence and then turned his attention back to Rowan. They started to discuss something she couldn't understand. She was embarrassed. She turned away, her face redding as the moments passed. She tried to concentrate on something else but she couldn't. She wrung her fingers nervously. She tried to get her thoughts in control. She began to examine her surroundings to get her mind off the handsome Prince. She noticed that people were dancing. The music had picked up some tempo. People were still chatting but most of them were dancing. She could hear laughter. 

She didn't feel like dancing. She wanted to go back to her room and rest her aching feet. After a few moments, the Prince left and she let out a deep breath. Finally, she told herself with a smile. Rowan raised his hand and out of nowhere, Juanito appeared and took him away to where the older man had ordered. 

She felt a tug on her gown. She looked down to see one of the twins. Rosalyn. That cute little girl was wearing a baby pink gown. It made Amara's heart melt, "What is it, Rosalyn?" 

"Momma said that we could play outside if you come with us." 

She agreed immediately. She took Rosalyn's hand in hers and let her guide her outside. The excited girl squeezed past people not leaving Amara's hand. Naturally, Amara ran into too many people. She apologized haphazardly as she was dragged, "Slow down, Rosalyn." The child smiled sheepishly. 

Her twin, Wendalyn was waiting for her, wearing a similar baby pink gown. These twins looked exactly the same to the untrained eye. 

They walked together to the door that was under the one that led to the castle. The dimly lit corridor was guarded by a few warriors who didn't move as they passed. They two of them were leading her to the courtyard only the residents of the castle were allowed to go. A maid followed them, holding their coats. It didn't surprise Amara anymore. She never doubted that were secret tunnels that helped them travel so fast. 

Once they reached the glass panes that opened to the snow-clad courtyard, Amara stopped them children and instructed them to wear their coats to which they complied. The maid had been kind enough to fetch her boots along with her coat. She politely thanked her. She wore her boots and her clothes, leaving her silver heels near the glass door. 

"Rosalyn! Wendalyn! Wait for me!" She smiled as they chased the children. 

"We'll play hide and seek! Please, Amara!" Wendalyn tugged her gown. Her big brown eyes looking up at her. She couldn't say no. Their tracks would be seen, she wanted to say but with those big brown eyes looking into her soul, she didn't have the heart to say no.

"I'll count!" the child exclaimed. Amara smiled, "Go on." 

So the girl turned her back on them and covered her eyes. She began to count loudly, "One!" 

Amara grabbed Rosalyn's hand and they ran toward the farthest end of the courtyard. There were trees everywhere. 

"Two!"

Rosalyn whispered that she wanted to climb a tree and hastily did so. Amara marvelled at the way the child hid herself. She wondered where she would hide with this humongous dress she was wearing. She finally hid behind a protruding boulder. She sat, her back pressed against the snow-covered boulder. She gathered her freely flowing gown under her knees and folded them till they touched her chin. 

The child had already reached ten. She had skipped a couple of numbers but Amara told herself that she would correct her when she'd get caught. 

"I'm coming!"