Chapter 11

It was a beautiful day outside. Emma sat at the kitchen table with Demelza kneading bread dough. Jeremy was playing with a ball and Clowerence was sleeping soundly in her basket. A butterfly flew past the window, and Emma let out a sigh, mentally wishing she was out in the sunshine.
"Why don't you go for a walk? I'm pretty much finished with everything."
"Thank you, Demelza! But, didn't Ross say for me to stay by the house?"
Demelza thought a moment; there was no news about a servant girl attacking her master and escaping.
"Just go no further than the beach. That and be back before sunset."
With that, Emma was off, taking in the fresh air and sunshine.
She made her way through the meadows and down to the surf. Her hair floated in the salty air. Just then, she heard voices and saw a familiar face.
"Drake! Hello!" She called out to Demelza's younger brother.
"Good day to you, Miss Emma." The young man replied.
"Drake, who's this?" A well-dressed boy asked, bounding up, who was followed by a young lady.
"Master Geoffrey, this is Emma, she lives with your Uncle Ross."
"Pleased to meet you, Miss. This is my governess, Morwenna." The young ladies curtsied politely before Morwenna spoke up.
"Geoffrey Charles, we need to be getting back to Trenwieth."
"Please, 'Wenna, can't we go to the wishing well? I'm sure Emma has never seen it."
"I'd love to go!" Emma said, and the four were off with Drake leading the way. It was Geoffrey Charles who explained the ritual.
"You put you hand in the water and say 'Father, Son, Holy Spirit' before you make your wish."
When Emma made hers, anyone who knew her could have guessed it.

As she came back to the house, Emma ran into the stable boy again.
"I didn't get your name when we last met." She said to him.
"David Thatcher, Miss." he introduced himself politely. As they went their separate ways, little did they know that their lives would be connected forever.