¶Nineteen

Dedicated to UjuritaElliana definitely check out her work you guys.

***

"So Irene, you've finally become one of Muyiwa's conquests, congratulation," Amira said, her tone laced with excited contempt. She had noticed me the moment I walked into the class during her proud broadcasting of a complete and total lie.
Everyone in the class turned to face me and you could feel their excitement growing, they were definitely hoping for I and Amira to start a fight.
"I am not anyone's conquest. I'm not like a certain girl who got caught in the boy's bathroom with a senior," I spat out angrily. My classmates gave the typical "Shet!" that they tended to do whenever people fought.
My heart was beating so hard and my brain was flying in every possible direction but I didn't want to react in a way that would make them believe that Muyiwa's lie was actually true.
"Please abeg abeg abeg, what's in the past is in the past, but you on the other hand have obviously become desperate by..."

"Amira please can you shut up for once in your life? Or are you always so desperate for attention that you have to display your obvious lack of home training?" said Bolade.
My head snapped in his direction and I was filled with intense relief I didn't even realize he was here.
Amira face was flushed with angry embarrassment. I didn't even understand that girl's obsession with hating me and I didn't have the time.

Bolade didn't waste time in taking me out of the class for privacy. The moment we were out of the prying ears and eyes of our classmates he stared at me silently, expecting me to speak up first.
"I didn't let him touch me," I said, my anger from earlier simmering down, slowly getting replaced by fear.
What if the news got to the teachers? Would I be in trouble? Would I get expelled or suspended? Oh God what would my mom think?
My heart beat started to pick up, "Bolade, I'm scared," I whispered, my voice coming out as a croak.
"Please first of all don't cry, I don't know how to handle tears," he said, awkwardly putting one hand on my shoulder and also shifting back a bit.
"Just tell me what happened," he said.
I narrated the story to him and he sighed when I was done. "Muyiwa is the worst, I don't know why girls seem to keep falling for him but he's disgusting, it's to the point where no girl in his set looks at him again, that's why he's after the lower set girls now, I'm sorry you were his target,".
"I'm so annoyed and angry at myself because Damien warned me about him, I just felt he was being his usual stupid self back then, I should have listened, now people are going to think I'm an ashawo and boys will think I'm cheap..." I rambled, tears starting to form in my eyes.
Bolade grabbed both my shoulders and shook me, "Please Irene don't cry, I won't know what to do," his eyes were widened in fright and somehow that made me laugh a little.
"Fashi what anyone says about you, it's not important as long as you know the truth, people will talk but then people will also move on and you should too,".
"Do not let this bother you okay? I'll tell Edwards, Damien and Marcus, you can tell Grace, we're very ready to talk back on your behalf have you heard?" he asked.
I nodded, my eyes teared up again but this time it was with happiness. I hugged Bolade briefly and then wiped my eyes.
"Thank you,".
He just smiled and nodded at me.

***

As Bolade had said, people definitely had their comments to make. My name travelled like wildfire and I even saw some senior girls staring at me during break time.
"I swear this useless school is just filled with amebos and oversabis , why can't they just mind their own business?" complained Grace, when she noticed some junior girls stare at me as they passed our table.
"Come! Una no get work?!" she said, ensuring that they could hear her. The girls quickly ran off and she hissed at them.
Marcus, Edwards and Bolade all smirked at the scene. Damien stayed quiet. He hadn't said a word to me since Bolade told him about the Muyiwa situation and instead of annoying Grace like he usually did he stayed silent. And if I'm being completely honest the thought of that made me very uncomfortable. If he had said "I told you so" or anything similar to that, I would have felt slightly better but his silence bothered me.

"I swear I wish we could get back at Muyiwa for what he did to you," said Edwards, waving his spoon in circular motions in the air. "Guy! That boy is a bastard," Marcus said, his face contorted in disgust. "There's nothing we can do except let this blow over, he's a senior incase you people have forgotten," stated Bolade calmly.

"Senior my ass," Grace shouted.
"Let him show his useless face around me and let's see if I don't slap him, who told him he can disrespect any girl like that?" 
"Grace calm down, really, I'm over it now, don't go and put yourself in trouble because of me," I said, knowing fully well that she wasn't joking about slapping Muyiwa, she would do it repeatedly without thinking.
Grace opened her mouth to reply but before she could, Damien beat her to it."Calm down? Adaeze did you really just say calm down?"
I tried to respond but he didn't stop there. "That bastard would have violated you then and there if you hadn't been bold enough to stop him and you're saying Grace should calm down, are you hearing yourself?" he asked, his voice steadily rising now.
"If the two of you had been somewhere else, he would have raped you and you wouldn't have been able to escape, and instead of reporting this matter you're saying she should calm down," . He was standing now and Bolade tried to touch his arm to calm him down but he pushed Bolade's hand away.
"Guy chill!"Marcus said slowly.
Damien's head turned so quickly to face Marcus I was surprised it didn't fall off. 
H

e and Marcus stared at each other silently before he shook his head and left our table.
"What's his own problem?" I asked, both vexed and embarrassed.
Bolade and Marcus exchanged looks before they turned their attention to their food. We all knew they weren't hungry.
"He likes you, that's why he's so pissed, don't worry about it, even though he didn't like you he doesn't know how to keep a grudge for long," Edwards said.
Damien likes me?
"Well this is just awkward now," Grace commented when no one else said anything.
Agreed.

***

School came to an end sooner than I expected and before the second break, people already found something else to talk about and I was no longer the topic of gists although I still got stares when I walked past any group of people, especially the senior boys.
Grace and I sat down on the school's front steps discussing our upcoming exams and how we hadn't even started preparing until her dad's driver showed up to pick her. The school bus was late today and I had to wait alone until it arrived.
"Adaeze, hey,".
I looked up, a bit startled, only to see Damien looking down at me with an awkward expression on his face.
I wanted to be angry at him for the way he acted earlier but I couldn't even bring myself to be.
"Hey how far?" I asked.
"Well... I'm good, can I sit?" he asked gesturing to the spot next to me on the steps.
I nodded and lifted up my bag and books so he could sit.
He exhaled loudly as he sat down.
"I'm sorry for my reaction today, how I acted was uncalled for," he said.
"I shouldn't have said what I said because it isn't your fault that Muyiwa's an ass, I just... I just didn't like the idea that he put his hands on you, in anyway whatsoever," he continued, fiddling with fingers as he spoke.
I suddenly remembered how Edwards had said earlier that Damien liked me. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or bad thing but I knew I definitely wasn't interested in starting a relationship for now, I needed a break from boys at the moment.
"Its okay, really, I would have been angry at me too if I were in your shoes, Muyiwa didn't even show his face at all today, lucky for him because Grace would have dealt with him," I joked.
Damien laughed and I did too and we fell into a comfortable silence. We didn't say anything until the bus pulled up in front of the school steps.
"Well, I'm going home now," I announced, standing up and picking up my bag.
Damien jumped up too, "Then that means I'll be walking back home now, I just wanted to keep you company just incase," he said, not finishing his sentence.
I smiled at him but didn't say anything.
He scratched his head awkwardly and then suddenly kissed me on the cheek.
"So bye, I'll see you tomorrow then," he said and then ran down the steps before I could respond.

Merry Merry Christmas in arrears loves. Sis is spending hers in the village with terrible network but I hope you all are enjoying your holidays.

Like. Comment. Share.

AND THANK YOU ALL FOR 11K!!! I can't even believe it.

Stay blessed babies. <3

xoxo,
Olly.