(60)

Song Above: Beautiful Lies Birdy

If you like this story then please check out my new story Me You And Winnie The Pooh! It needs all the love it can get! 😊🐻🍯

BRODY

This drive.

These roads.

So many memories unwanted and needed.

Last time I was here I had her beside me. My support, my anchor, my blanket comforting me with her warm embrace.

But as I drove down these roads, the sky darkening to a cloak of black; as time passed I realized this was something I needed to do on my own.

It was my burden and darkness to carry and until I've dealt with it I couldn't be with her, I couldn't make it up to her. I needed to be and believe I was the person she wanted me to be.

Right now I was a mess.

A crumpled, sloppy mess that caused destruction and pain to whoever crossed my path.

But I was about to right my wrongs.

One step at a time.

I pulled up towards the familiar gate watching as it slowly opened to reveal a path I had no choice but to take.

Before I knew it I was sat in front of the man I resented with all my heart and I had questions that were going to be answered tonight whether they liked it or not.

He looked different this time.

Cleaner, less clouded in the eyes. Maybe time behind bars had been a blessing in disguise for him. I wish I could say the same for my mom who's bones lay in the ground.

But I was going to find justice for her whether it killed me or not.

The silence in the room was deadly. I could feel the blood in my ears and hear the pounding of my heart. I'd envisioned this conversation a hundred times on the drive but now I was sat facing him my mind had gone blank. I had my fists held to the table, which he had looked down at. I'm sure he didn't want a repeat of last time despite the fact I desperately did, was hungry even and would enjoy it.

But I wasn't here for a fight.

"I see your insanity plea didn't go to plan," I noted dryly as I nodded in his direction.

His paper-thin lips twisted into a smile, "Nah theatre wasn't my strong point, I'm a lot better in other departments,"

"Like murder," I spat.

"You could say that," He said and then titled his head to the side as he watched me, "Why the long face son? Been a hard day?" The way the words slithered out his mouth and the cockiness in his tone made my blood boil.

This was a massive test of my patience.

"Probably not as long as your days been. What's it like staring at walls?" I snapped back.

He barked out a laugh an unnatural sound. "I may be stuck it here but at least I'm safe. Can't say the same for you,"

I slowly leaned forward with my elbows on the table, "And what do you mean by that?"

"Boy, you poking around with shit ain't gonna pan out well. I'm giving you a warning, I'd take it if you were smart,"

"So what if I'm not smart? What's gonna happened to me aye? The guy who paid you gonna come after me?"