014 ::: Never Try

Hello awesome readers! I was a little worried because my original idea for this story didn't give me that spark like it used to and THEN I listened to this song I used to love, and you know how sometimes you completely make up a story in your head to go along with the music or lyrics?, that was me! Now I have a completely different route for this story and I am so excited about it!

Anyway, you know the drill: if you see any inconsistencies or errors in the story, please leave a comment and let me know!

Love you all and enjoy! :) <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xaler POV

Something was wrong.

I could feel it almost instantly. The air that was once buzzing with happiness and excitement had turned thick and stiff; it was hard to breathe; something was most definitely wrong. Deep within me, my wolf stirred restlessly, he too knew something wasn't right. I didn't do well with wrong. Even some of the guests in attendance for the ceremony noticed the shift, halting their movements and whipping their heads about, trying to pinpoint the source of the uneasiness that hovered about. My heartbeat picked up and a wave of terror surged through me, settling into the pit of my stomach. There was only one thing in the entire universe that would make me feel this level of despair; Rosie.

But the grounds were secure, so secure that even our prisoners couldn't sneeze without someone being there to double check their sneezes for malice. I had never had this much security on the premises before. Nothing had been deemed worthy enough for that much security, not until now that is. Not until Rosie entered my life.

Before her, nothing was worth anything and everything didn't matter. But she had become the sole focus of my world, the purpose for continuing on each day, the reason to fight. I had heard and witnessed all of those lucky enough to find their mates, but instead of being happy for them jealousy would leak from my skin, poisoning the air around me. The only solace I would find would come with the executions. Until her.

And I almost lost her.

I almost lost her to her own execution and almost lost her when I undeniably tossed her into the blocks. I was at my wits end with what happened, it was all so sudden and even though I was beyond the moon to have found my mate, a part of me couldn't move past the fact that she was a human.

A weak human.

The Moon Goddess doesn't make mistakes, or at least I've been told, but how could she have paired me with a human?

I tried to fight it, but fighting the mate bond was futile. No one wolf has ever lived to tell the tale of fighting the bond. There are stories-myths of a few wolves actually being successful, but that;s all they are-myths.

It wasn't going to be me. I may be the strongest wolf in current existence, but even I was too weak to fight it for long. Every passing day it just grew stronger and stronger while I grew more and more agitated by every little thing before succumbing to the pull and had her removed from the blocks.

As a human living in the slums, Rosie should've been thankful, grateful, but she was the furthest from being appreciative. Her behavior was repulsive to say the least and she tried to put up a fight, but it wasn't long until I figured out what would break her; her family. It only took bringing in her sister one time for her to start behaving appropriately. I saved her and it's as if she didn't even care.