CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The thought of someone violating my privacy was overwhelming. The world went topsy-turvy for a second. My terror shifted into an intense anger that bordered on violence. The fast current of emotions caught me off guard. One moment I was about to step around the corner and confront them, and the next I was five feet off the ground.

I immediately spun myself around in mid air, slamming my hands against the wall in an attempt to keep myself from levitating any higher, but it proved to be the wrong maneuver. My hands hit the wall with such force that it propelled me away from it instead. I reached out with outstretched fingers, but the wall was just beyond reach. I was horrified when I realized I could see a little of Wendy's body from where I was hovering. If I moved backward any further, she would definitely see me.

"He did act kinda weird when I showed him the video of that dinosaur prank," Jesse said. "Do you think there's a connection somehow?"

"What video?"

"You haven't seen it yet?"

Their two shadows blended into one as she leaned into him to watch the video. I knew I had about twenty seconds before it was over. I did a quarter turn in the air and sprinted towards the café door. Any moment now a car was going to turn the corner or someone was going to walk into view and see me. Just as I reached the back entrance of the café, the door opened up a crack. I tucked my legs into my chest at the last second and came to a dead stop.

The door swung open and my aunt walked out dragging one of the trashcans from behind the coffee bar. I was in a wild panic as she made her way across the alley to the dumpster. In a last ditch attempt, I straightened my legs, hooked my knees under the doorframe, and pulled myself down hard. The force and speed brought me crashing to the ground. My knees buckled and I tumbled forward. By sheer luck, I was able to throw my hands in front of me at the last second and absorbed the impact. Otherwise, I would have lost a lot of teeth.

"What on earth are you doing on the ground?" I looked up and saw my aunt gaping at me with the dumpster lid halfway open. She let it drop shut and hurried over to me.

It took all my strength to answer. "I tripped."

Wendy and Jesse walked into view. The two saw me on the ground and exchanged meaningful looks. This latest weirdness must have fueled their rapidly growing conspiracy theories about me. I let my aunt help me up to my feet while simultaneously pulling Jesse's wallet out of my pocket.

"You dropped this." I waved it over my head so he could see.

Jesse patted his pockets like people are wont to do when they're searching for something. Wendy took a small step back as I approached them. Had I not heard them discussing me just moments ago, I wouldn't even have noticed. He reached out to take his wallet, but I didn't let go.

"Listen," I addressed Wendy and dropped my voice so only the two of them could hear what I said. "I know you broke into my house and went through my stuff." I let the accusation hang in the air and felt a deep sense of satisfaction when I saw they were visibly startled. "You need to give me back the shirt that you took from my room." I could tell she was about to protest, so I cut her off. "I know it's in your bag." Wendy quickly dug it out and handed it over. I leaned in closer and dropped my voice to a growl. "If you know what's good for you, you'll stay the fuck away from me, my family, and my friends."   

There was a metallic taste in my mouth. I don't know if it was the adrenaline coursing through my body, fear, or the threat of something greater that produced it, but it felt like I was watching my life through someone else's eyes. The entire scene felt surreal, yet I could feel my pulse pounding through my body.

All the blood had drained out of Jesse's cheeks and I assumed Wendy's as well; she was too covered up for me to really tell. A malicious smile spread across my face as I let go of the wallet.