Old Friend.

"Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities

"Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities." The big green Scientist cautioned, his crippled right arm in a sling.

"Don't worry, Bruce. I'll take care of it." Steve replied, locking the case with the stones tight, his Time Travel suit sheathing over his body.

From within the sparse forest where we all stood I could see the gaping cavity in the earth left by the wrath of Thanos. The battle that occurred a mere few feet away feeling like ages ago instead of days. 

And, as the sunlight dappled across the wreckage I could hear the bulldozers at work, clearing up the area. The shredded battlefield and once home of the Avengers establishment quite a task to tidy up. 

In truth, it hurt to look over and see nothing but the decimated aftermath. Knowing so clearly what once was there. The grand fortress and home away from home that was the facility. The place the heroes had all sought out refuge within over so many years. 

It was gone, as was Tony and Natasha. Things had changed and for a little while there I really enjoyed being an Avenger. 

Jutting out of the grass laden plain was the newly constructed Quantum Tunnel. Atom stabilizers and solar panels accessorizing the titanium framed podium. 

The latest of Inter-Dimensional gateways powered up and all set for one final trek to the past. 

"If you'd like, James and I could go with you. It might be fun, us traveling through time together." I petitioned, standing beside Bucky as the Captain gazed into my eyes. 

"I thought you were done doing missions." He catechized. 

"Right. Force of habit." I faltered. 

"The fight is over, Becky. You and Buck, you two can settle down now." Steve illustrated, his words still a foreign concept to me. A beautiful concept I never was allowed to have become a reality. Until now. 

I watched as Bucky went up and hugged Steve, who reciprocated the gesture wholeheartedly. 

"I'm gonna miss you, buddy." Bucky let slip out, his voice rough, strained with sadness. A sorrow laced tone I didn't know the reason behind. 

"It's gonna be okay, Bucky. You two are going to be alright. You're going to be happy." Steve ensured, walking up the small flight of metal steps onto the platform. 

And, I followed. Trailing behind him as he carried the case full of Infinity Stones, Mjolnir at his side. 

"Almost ready?" We heard Bruce chime in, positioned behind the control panel. The Scientist using the tip of a pencil to type in a sequence of coordinates. 

The Captain nodded, his attention strained towards me again. 

"Goodbye, Becky." 

"Hey, no goodbyes remember? Besides, we'll be seeing you in a second anyway." I countered, seemingly blind to the telltale signs that something was going to happen.