Chapter Twelve

The next morning, you awoke to a phone call.
Your phone rang noisily as you sleepily got up to go answer it. You had no idea why it was so loud, it was all the way in the kitchen.
"Hello?" You said sleepily into the phone.
"Hey, (F/N)," Mike greeted.
"Why'd you call?" You were a little more awake now.
"I'm going to come over to your house. I can leave the hospital now, but not permanently yet. You sound sleepy, so I'm guessing you missed the news this morning?"
"Oh, yeah, I did. Is this about..." You trailed off.
"Yeah," he seemed to know what you meant. "Anyways, I'll be over in a few. I've got to go now," he replied, an emotion in his voice that you couldn't recognise.
"Alright, see you then. Bye," you said.
"Bye," he hung up.
You immediately changed into comfier clothes, and sat on the couch. What could he possibly need to tell you? Couldn't he wait until you got to the hospital to visit him? Or did the news say something that would be very...important?
When Mike arrived, it was 11:51 am exactly.
"Hey," you opened the door.
"Hey. I need to tell you about what was on the news," he said, sounding a bit cautious.
"Okay.."
You both went in and sat on the couch.
"So," he cleared his throat. "You know about the five children, right?"
You nodded.
"They finally found the fifth one. It took a while, but they did. Apparently, they'd made the child into a..." He tried hinting to you, but you didn't get it. He sighed. "The kitchen?" He tried again.
It suddenly clicked. "Oh my god..."
"That's not all though," he replied. He gently grabbed both of your hands and looked you in the eyes.
"(F/N), they are having a grand re-opening in exactly two months."
You gasped. "What? No, they can't! Not after what happened..." You felt like crying, but didn't.
"I...don't know. But (F/N), all I know is that we're going to have our jobs back," he looked worried.
"Well, at least you have dayshift. I have nightshift, and get to be there all alone while animatronics chase after me," you said.
"I'm sorry...Maybe you'll be able to quit?" He reasoned.
You shrugged your shoulders and looked down.
"No, why don't you quit? I don't want another incident like the one that just happened."
He gave a sad laugh. "I'll be okay, (F/N)."
You bowed your head as tears threatened to run out of your damp eyes.
"Don't cry," he said, lifting your chin.
You looked into his sky blue eyes and saw worry, sadness, and fear. You knew he wanted to quit his job, but you didn't know why he didn't.
"Just be safe," you said.
Then a sudden thought popped into your head. "Mike....are they going to keep the animatronics there?"
He was silent for a moment.
"Yes, they fixed them all as much as they could and returned them. But," he said, seeing you gasp, "they also re-did their entire free-roam mode option. They can still walk around, but as far as we know, they've eliminated emotions such as anger and sadness in them. They haven't tested it, but they said that."
You sighed and shook your head.
"Do you want to go get something to eat? Mike said. "It's already 12:20."
"Sure, yeah," you nodded, but your mind wasn't on food. It was on the animatronics, and what you just heard.
"Mike... Can I ask you something?"
He nodded. "Of course."
"Can I go see the animatronics?"
You knew his answer already.
"No.. I don't want you to get hurt, (F/N)."
"Mike, I don't care if I get hurt! I'll go alone! Just don't come, I don't want you getting hurt again. I'd give anything for you not to have been injured. I'd rather it have been me!" You said, sadness wrangling your voice.
"I have so many questions, Mike, and I need them answered. Please!" You begged.
He shook his head sadly. "(F/N)... If something happens to you, I would never ever forgive myself..." He sounded sad.
"Mike," you said, looking him in the eyes. "I won't get hurt. I promise. I'll even call you on a phone the entire time...."
"No! (F/N), if you go, I'm going with you!"
You looked up quickly, sadly.
"But if you get hurt..." Tears started streaming down your face.
"I won't get hurt, and you won't either. I'll make sure of it."

You both arrived to your favourite restaurant you ate at yesterday.
You ordered the same thing, and so did he.
"Thanks for lunch," you thanked.
He smiled. "No problem."