𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟹: 𝚂𝚘𝚗 𝚘𝚏 𝚊 𝙱𝚒𝚝𝚌𝚑

After the events with the monster, James and One decided it was best to seek out new shelter

After the events with the monster, James and One decided it was best to seek out new shelter. They thought it unlikely that the monster would be returning that night so they tried to get some more sleep by taking shifts, but neither really slept. Morning, or what they perceived to be morning since it was always dark, came too slowly.

They did one last check of the house for any food or supplies they could use but came up empty-handed. As they were leaving, One couldn't help but look back at her childhood home. She knew it wasn't actually her childhood home, rather some creepy, demonic version of it, but she still felt a pain in the pit of her stomach as they left.

They followed the roads that wound around the deserted neighborhood. Both were on the constant lookout for more monsters and shuddered every time they heard a distant howl. Aside from shelter, their immediate goal was to find food, water, and possibly new clothes. The few clothes in the house had been more tattered than the gowns they were in.

"Are you starting to remember anything?" One asked in an attempt to pass the time.

James thought for a moment before shaking his head. "I still don't remember you. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," One said sullenly. She missed her friend. Even though he was still with her, it wasn't the same.

"I wish I did though," James added with a small smile. "You seem pretty cool."

One tried to hide the smile that grew on her lips. Maybe they could get back to the friendship they had had. One day.

"Look over there!" James pointed out, drawing One's attention away from her hopeful thoughts. She followed his finger to a lonely supermarket sitting on the corner. One and James both looked at each other as the same thought crossed their minds: food.

The two ran for the front door eagerly, pushing their way inside to a haven unlike anything they could remember seeing before. Without saying a word, they both ran in separate directions in their own search for something to quell their angry stomachs.