A Nighttime Interruption

APRIL 28, 2022

The blaring sound of Venetia's alarm pierces the air, cutting through the heavy stillness of the morning. She blinks her eyes open, disoriented and groggy, her body heavy with fatigue and nausea.

With a deep sigh, she stretches her aching muscles, feeling the twinge of soreness in her arms and legs. It's a stark reminder of the long hours she put in on set the day before, the physical toll of her craft. Slowly, she drags her feet across the plush carpet, relishing the softness beneath her soles.

She makes her way to the kitchen, the scent of fresh coffee and toast filling the room. Tom is already there, helping himself to a bowl of cereal, his back to her. She watches him for a moment, the familiar shape of his body bringing a sense of comfort.

"Good morning," Tom greets Venetia with a warm smile, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he leans over to kiss her cheek.

Venetia's response is muffled by a yawn, her voice thick with sleep.

Tom chuckles at her grogginess, the sound echoing in the cosy kitchen as he turns to pour himself a bowl of cereal. Venetia watches as he deftly pours milk over the crispy flakes, the clinking of the spoon against the bowl a comforting sound. She craves something more substantial and opts for crumpets and tea, the thought of the warm, buttery bread and fragrant tea coaxing her out of her drowsiness.

Venetia's hair is a wild tangle of curls, and she's still wearing the oversized t-shirt and shorts she slept in. Tom, on the other hand, is wearing a plain white t-shirt, as well as loose-fitting sweatpants, looking every bit the part of a laid-back actor.

As they eat, Venetia's eyes droop with fatigue, but her spirits lift as she savours the taste of her tea. Tom breaks the silence, "You look like you could use some more sleep," he says, concerned.

In return, she just shrugs and takes another sip of her tea.

"I know, but we have a long day ahead of us. Might as well fuel up now," she says with a small smile.

Venetia and Tom sit across from each other at the small wooden table, their morning routine a comfortable familiarity.

She takes a sip of tea, feeling the warmth spread through her body.

"What's on the agenda for today anyway? Are you back filming in public?" she asks, breaking the peaceful silence that had enveloped them.

Tom sets down his glass of orange juice and rubs his eyes, his mind still foggy from the early wake-up call.

"I have a scene where Danny gets fucked up the arse. I've got to speak to an intimacy coordinator who wants to make sure I'm comfortable, but I'm game."

Venetia nods in understanding, knowing how seriously Tom takes his craft.

"Do you want me there for your first gay sex role or-"

He cuts her off.

"Nah, it's just acting. I'll be alright."

"Fair enough. Anyway, I'm going to head to the cafe for lunch later. Do you want me to bring anything back for you?" She asks.

Tom shakes his head.

"Nah mate, I'm good. I'll probably grab something the way. The town we're filming in this afternoon has a lot of cafes."

They continue to chat, the sound of their voices mingling with the gentle clinking of silverware against the bowl.

The soft morning light filters through the window, casting a warm glow over the kitchen. In this moment, all that matters is the simple joy of each other's company.