Chapter 13

"Ross, I'm scared." Emma said softly as she and Ross headed into the street. Ross was going to try and leave Truro as quietly and quickly as possible, taking a back alley where there appeared to be no one else. Ross led the horse with Emma walking right beside him. She grabbed his hand at least once and he could feel her shaking.  
A pair of cats started yowling, startling the horse. Ross turned away to try and calm it, and then he heard Emma scream. He looked up just in time to see Emma was being held by two men and was struggling to get away. Just then, Ross was shoved to the ground hard, preventing him from coming to her rescue. Someone kicked him hard in the ribs, knocking the wind out of him. Ross managed to roll onto his back, getting a glimpse of  Emma fighting against the men holding her well as his attacker; a hulking brute. He kicked out hard, knocking the giant's legs out from under him which gave him just enough time to get back on his feet. Ross turned just in time to see Emma being loaded onto a cart and started to run to her, but he didn't look behind him, feeling a huge fist smash into his face. Emma looked at Ross staggering and called out for him, her eyes wide with fear. Her scream was the last thing Ross heard before the cudgel connected with his skull.

When he came to, both Emma and the cart were gone.