Chapter 2 - Formal Introductions

Sierra's POV

"Sierra Velez, Sir." I confidently held out my hand to him. 

He looked at me for a bit before placing his hand in mine, giving it a gentle shake. 

"Daddy, this is a friend of mine who works at The Pheonix. She really needs the money and wants to apply for the job of looking after the dogs and training them." Elena linked her arm into her father's. 

"Do you have experience with dogs?" He asked me, still cautious.

"Yes, Sir. Back home, I assisted in a training school for 4 years." I kept my answers short and to the point.

"Velez... That's Spanish?" His eyes narrowed on me.

"Correct. I'm from Mexico. Moved here about a year ago." I found myself trying to link my hands behind my back, standing up straight. I need to remember people don't take this kind of stance in a normal setting. Instead, I wrapped my left arm around my torso. 

"Very well. I just need to check a few things before giving you an answer. Why don't you go get acquainted with the pups and I will meet up with you in a while." He suggested. 

I gave him a curt nod as he disappeared through another door. I knew he was going to do a background check. It's common practice for a Don to check every single person in their lives. I already had a fake profile, under the fake name Velez, prepared for him to find. 

I followed Elena through the foyer and onto a patio deck. I admired a sparkling pool, overlooking the beach before noticing Elena's mother walking over to us. 

"You must be Sierra?" She asked me with a stunning smile. 

"Yes, Mam." I nodded.

"Oh, please call me Aria. I already feel old enough." She chuckled. "I've heard a lot about you from Elena. I'm glad someone will be helping out with the pooches. The kids are always so busy and those pups have way too much energy. They need to go for daily jogs."

"That's correct. That would be my first activity for the day with them. I enjoy running to clear my mind, so it's a win for all situation." I said to her matter of fact. She gave me a sweet smile.

"Mamma, you will never guess the car she drives!" Elena spoke up excitedly with a beaming face. 

"Oh, do tell." Aria edged on while looking at me causing me to giggle.

"Mustang GT500 Eleanor 67." I gave her a genuine smile as her eyes widened and mouth sat agape. 

"Well, I'm holding you to a drive." She stated more than asking. 

"Of course," I replied to her. 

 "I like you, Sierra. I think you're going to be good for this family in more ways than one." She said with insight before heading into the kitchen area. I closed my eyes, trying to remember my mother's lifeless body 12 years ago, as I felt a pang of guilt seeping through. 

A tall comely girl got out of the pool, wrapped a towel around her and started strolling in our direction. She had tanned skin, long black hair, and an athletic body. She stopped in front of me, giving me an inviting smile.

"Hi. I'm Camila!" She pulled me into a hug which caught me off guard. "I heard the exchange you had with Nico's side piece, and let me tell you, we are going to get along just fine." She smirked, wiggling her eyebrows before shooting me a wink. I couldn't help but let out a soft chuckle. 

"Whoa, who's this?" An older lady, with short dark hair and tattoos down her arms, said as she approached us. She was grinning looking from me to Elena, then back to me.