Chapter One

~*~

~*~

She's gotten used to waking up at the crack of dawn, just before the scorching, desert sun beats down on her olive skin. She usually wears a dark green wrap to cover her mess of a hair when she goes outside, but right now she's inside the hut, smashing ingredients together in a gray pile of mush on the kitchen stove to make food for the blurrgs.

What the Ugnaught she lives with does during his spare time, she never knows. He likes to work up on the electric poles surrounding their camp, and sometimes went to the Jawa's hideout to trade goods, mostly food, or parts he needed for them.

She squints at the blurrgs, and still flinches when one gets too close to her. Then she realises that they were only moving towards her because she had food for them. She clicks her tongue, and drops the bucket into the stable that kept them in. The blurrg kicks up her feet, and Dessa stumbles back, quickly catching herself, but too late, she's already falling.

Someone in strange dark gray, metal is walking with her, holding her small hand as they trudge the desert. They don't talk much, but she occasionally glances up at the man who saved her life with wonder. He doesn't look down. he's standing stiff as a statue as he tilts his head to look around them.

"You'll be safe here," the man reassures her calmly.

She didn't want to be left alone. She wants to stay with him. He points to something behind her, and she can hear him say something about the sun rising, and before she can say anything, something cold hits her neck, and she falls limply to her side.

When she wakes up again, tall, gray creatures are surrounding her. She cries out as one nearby tries to stomp on her, but it drops down onto its knees as electricity covers its body. She looks up to thank saved her, and stops as a orange creature that's about as tall as her with goggles upon his head approaches her. He offers her a gloved hand, and she wordlessly, but politely takes his hand and he helps her stand.

"You're up early," Kuiil's voice distracts her from her dreams, and she smiles brightly at the small Ugnaught. Maybe too brightly judging from the stern glare sends her way.

"Just wanted to get a headstart," she says, nodding over to the pile of mud she'd given the blurrgs.

"Hmm," Kuiil replies. He glances over at the creatures then back at her. "Something's bothering you."

Kriff! How did the Ugnaught always know?

"Nothing's bothering me, Kuiil," she lies, and hates how quickly he catches onto it. She gets up, and brushes some sand off her wrap. "Do you want me to cook for you too?"