chapter 30 ; family

"I DONT MEAN to alarm you, but those stitches are close to coming undone," Hershel stated, his eyes trailing over the bleeding wound as it bled through Ellie's damp shirt

"I DONT MEAN to alarm you, but those stitches are close to coming undone," Hershel stated, his eyes trailing over the bleeding wound as it bled through Ellie's damp shirt. The dark blood had already stained her once white shirt, and Hershel knew it was only a matter of time before Ellie would require urgent care.

"Please, you have to do something," Ellie squeaked out, and attempted to manoeuvre herself upwards, but managed to imminently tear her stitches as she did so. She let out a harsh cry as she clutched her side in agony, and clenched her eyes shut, "Oh, man, this hurts."

Rick let out a small chuckle at Ellie's reaction, but immediately dropped his eyes down to the pooping blood surrounding her wound. He gulped, and leaned into Hershel to whisper, "She's going to get an infection if we don't act fast."

"I left all of my medical supplies at the farm," Hershel stated, shaking his head as he internally prayed to the Lord above him for a miracle to save Ellie, "If anyone brought it with them, it might be with them, we can search through the vehicles."

The remaining group members eventually arrived rapidly at the highway; each reuniting with their family members after the tragedy of the farm left them wondering when they'd see one another again. But their family had been strong — strong enough to defeat the odds.

"What the hell happened?" Daryl finally uttered, the shock of Ellie's would revelation finally drifting away; enabling him to speak up.

Ellie let out a struggled chuckle, and gestured down towards her bleeding wound, "Accident."

"What you mean a damn accident?" Daryl growled, his eyes connecting with Shane's as the rage deep within him began to bubble at the surface, "If this has anythin' to do with you I will stomp your ass!"

Shane's large chocolate eyes connected with Rick's as he let out a small gulp, feeling the guilt attack his body. He finally attempted to explain, "Daryl, it wasn't meant—"

"No," Daryl hissed, not allowing Shane to explain as he knew he had been responsible for his wound. Daryl launched himself forward, in attempt to lunge for Shane, only to be held back by T-Dog, "get the hell off me, man! Ellie's hurt because of this jackass!"

"Shane carried me through a herd of walkers just so that I didn't die," Ellie whispered, which immediately drew Daryl's attention down to her. His struggles against T-Dog died once their eyes connected; all of his rage suddenly melted.

Daryl tore himself from T-Dog's hold, and stood protectively next to Coda as she stood awkwardly, her small hands curled around her favourite toy as she stared innocently up at her mother. She desperately wanted to cry, but she was too afraid to make even a squeak.