THIRTY-ONE: murder threats

I sat myself down in the back of the church in a pew close to the door, letting out a loud huff as my body flipped onto the hard wood. I crossed my arms across my chest and tailored my head up to look at the ceiling letting, out another breath in attempts to calm myself down but the longer I sat there, the longer I thought about my dad being missing and how Glenn and Maggie were so willing to leave me. I had always learned that you never leave family behind but here they are, leaving us.

I balled my hands into fists and brought my head down into my lap before I decided I needed fresh air. I quickly pushed my way through the pew and stomped through the aisle. I put my hand on the old door and yanked on it to open it a little more dramatic then needed. I walked outside of the church and into the cold air, making a point to slam the door behind me as I heard people call my name.

I made my way down the small set of stairs and I pulled out my machete that I kept holstered in the belt of my pants. I scanned my surroundings as my eyes adjusted to the darkness of the woods surrounding me to make sure there was no one out there, living or dead.

I knew going outside wasn't the best and most logical idea but I needed the fresh air or else I would explode again and I really didn't want to hurt anyone, emotionally or physically. Anyway, I can handle myself out here for a couple minutes.

I notice a nice looking tree in front of me so I walk over and let myself slump down, my back resting on the scratchy bark and my butt resting in a pocket of roots. I put my hands behind my head and look up into the night sky which was halfway blocked by the big tree. What I could see of the sky showed that it was a peaceful night. The sky was sprinkled with bright stars, the brightest i've ever seen. I guess that's what the end of the world does though, right? No more air pollution means brighter starts. I guess that's one plus side to the apocalypse.

Suddenly, I hear the old wooden doors of the church open along with the light of the church flooding through the woods. Before I even have time to wonder who it is I hear the familiar voice of Carl Grimes yell, "No dad! I'm going out there to talk to her!" I roll my eyes playfully as I let out a quiet laugh at the boy. Once the door finally slams shut Carl calls out now a softer tone, "Finn? Where are you?"

"I'm right here Carl" I call back. Carl then turns my direction. I can tell he's trying to make out where I am by the lack of movement so I yell again, "By the tree dumbass!" Carl laughs at my comment and my heart does a flip but I play it cool, not letting him know.

Carl walks over and slowly sits down next to me and mimics the way I was sitting, his hands behind his head, legs stretched out in front of him, back to tree, and looking up at the stars. After a couple minutes of just sitting and looking at the night sky I feel a head rest on my shoulder. Out of the corner of my eye I see Carl resting on me, looking up at me. "Quit staring at me stalker." I joke as I wrap one of my arms around his body, my hand resting on his shoulder.

"I can't help it, Finn. You're just too pretty" he says softly and I feel my cheeks heat up by 100 degrees. Good thing it's dark out so he can't see how red my face is. Instead of letting him know I let out another joke, like always. "Cheesy much, Sheriff?"

Carl laughs and lifts his head from my shoulder . "I haven't heard that nickname in a while" he says while chuckling. I look over at the boy and take advantage of his free hand by taking it in mine and intertwining our fingers. Carl then suddenly stops laughing and stares at me. "Did Finn Dixion just show me affection or am I dreaming?" he exclaims now laughing again.

I laugh along with Carl before answering, "I think you are dreaming Sheriff."

Carl squeezes my hand even more and smiles, "Then it's the best dream I have ever had"