Chapter Twenty-Five

You didn't know what brought you to where you were now. You were in the back alleys of the city, far from where you'd run from. You stood there, phone shakily in your hand. In the other, you held the comet charm close to your chest.

You were still unfeeling. You knew that you should cry- that you should scream or yell or do anything- but you couldn't. You were just numb and trembling. You knew that this feeling of emptiness would come to pass and then everything would hurt again, but you couldn't help but welcome it, even if you hated yourself for feeling this way.

You blamed yourself for the death of Mustard. You didn't even get to know his actual name. The kid died, and there would probably be no one who remembered him. No one except for you and the rest of the League.

You wondered if he had a family- if any of them had bothered to look for him after he had disappeared. You wondered if he had a life before he joined the League. There was so much that you never got to know about the boy- so much that you wouldn't ever find out. You hated yourself for it.

You hated yourself for a lot of things, actually. You hated that you couldn't process what had just happened. You hated that you hadn't been able to grab onto the hem of his jacket on time. You hated that you hadn't thought to more properly warn the others about the danger that Overhaul posed to them. You hated that you'd found yourself in a position to play god. And most of all, you hated yourself for not being able to prevent another death despite Nighteye's warnings.

A wave of nausea passed over you as you realized that you were still covered in Mustard's remains. You looked down at your shirt- which was sticky with blood. You'd never seen this much of it before, much less on your own person. You gagged again, bile rising in your throat as you tried and failed to process the fact that you were covered in your friend's remnants. You saw something fall out of your hair from the corner of your eye and you looked down at it, blanching when you realized what it was.

It was a fucking tooth. Mustard's tooth had been in your hair. You couldn't help it. You emptied the contents of your stomach onto the ground of the alleyway, retching even more at the smell of iron and vomit. When you were finished, you wiped at your mouth with your blood-soaked sleeve.

Shakily, you looked back at your phone. Still trembling, you pressed someone's contact, listening to it ring. The person on the other end picked up almost immediately, and you were bombarded with a myriad of questions as they called your name.

"Where are you? I've been trying to text you for days! I know we didn't leave off on the best terms, but you can't just leave me hanging like that! Eraser's been worried sick! And so have I! We were so worried about you. Just... don't do that do me again, okay?"

"Mirio," you said- your voice nearly a whisper. You'd meant to talk louder, but it seemed that you weren't able to. "I need help."

You knew that you had no right to ask the boy for anything. You had lied to him and actively worked with villains. You had essentially betrayed everything he knew and loved. But for some reason, he still worried about you. He was still concerned. Some part of you hoped that he would come rescue you from... from what had just happened. You hoped that maybe if you went back to him, all of the bad things would disappear. That you might feel whole again.

"What happened?" Mirio asked, and the floodgates opened.

You felt tears well up in your eyes, and even though you were still emotionally numb, you sobbed into the receiver. You stayed like that for a little bit- with him just listening to you cry- before you spoke again. You gave him your location as a choked sob erupted from your throat. "I... I need a new pair of clothes, too."