she can't sleep

Hailee kept tossing and turning in bed. It was one of those nights that no matter what she did, she couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep. She tried laying on her side but she got uncomfortable so she tried her back and then her stomach and she either got irritated since she couldn't fall asleep or she was getting uncomfortable again.

She was hot one minute and cold the next; she'd pull the blanket up further around her only to kick it off a few minutes later. She was getting frustrated. It's nearing three in the morning and nothing seems to be working. Laying there was only making her anxious so she thought that going downstairs would be better. That way if she doesn't sleep she can't wake you up.

She tried to stand up but you grabbed her wrist and even though she was feeling a little anxious and very annoyed she still couldn't help but smile at the feeling of your fingers trying to intertwine with hers. "What're you doing?" You mumbled. You were clearly half asleep and exhausted. Hailee kissed your forehead and pushed some hair away from your face. "I can't sleep so i'm gonna go downstairs so I don't keep you up. Go back to sleep."

You held onto her waist and refused to let her go. Hailee chuckled and twirled a strand of your hair around her finger. "Babe I don't wanna keep you up just because I can't sleep."

"You won't. Lay back down." She sighed but laid back down next to you. "No. Put your head on my lap." She raised her eyebrow at you but did as you said.

you started playing with her hair and she sighed again, this time much more contently. "Feel good?" She nodded. You started to hum quietly. The song was one Hailee recognized but couldn't put her finger on, and she realized it was because she was getting sleepy. "See? You're already getting sleepy. You should've woken me up and I would've done this much sooner." Hailee smiled sleepily, her eyes closed as her hand trailed up to your stomach.

She focused on the steady rise and fall of your stomach, her mind calm and her heart feeling content with how she was feeling now. "I love you." She said and you could tell by her voice that she was close to falling asleep. "I love you too. Sweet dreams my sweet girl." You kissed her head and closed your eyes, both of you falling asleep together as you held each other close.