Chapter 29: The Point Of No Return

I wake up to the sound of loud knocking on my door. Sitting up, I glance at the window. The sun isn't even up yet. Edward told me he had work to do. Who could it be?
      Thinking that it's probably Edward done with his work early, I walk over to the door and open it. I frown at the unfamiliar face grinning at me. "Wh-who are you?" I stammer, suddenly conscious of my sheer nightgown.
    "It's me," the stranger extends his pale hand towards me, "I've missed you so much, Catherine. May I?"
     "May you what-" I gasp when he grabs my hand and kisses it. "Who the hell are you?!" I whip my hand away and take a couple steps backwards.
     "It's me, William," he looks confused, "you don't remember me?"
      I shake my head.
      "William. Second in line to the throne. Spent the summer with you a couple years ago." He cocks an eyebrow, "are you pretending not to know me?"
     "No. Wait... second in line? I thought Edward didn't have any siblings left."
     "I'm his cousin."
     "Oh." I relax a bit. "Well, welcome to court I guess. What brings you here?"
    "The crown."
     We both stare at each other in silence for a minute. My heart sinks. "You want...the crown..."
    He chuckles. "It was just a joke! I'm just missing my baby cousin."
    I roll my eyes. "Does Edward know you're here?"
    "Not yet," he smiles, "thought I would visit you first. You know, I'm glad I did." He steps closer and strokes my right cheek. I shiver. "Still such a beauty."
     "I'm calling the guards," I warn.
     "Catherine," he leans down and kisses my neck, "I haven't been able to forget you. Why did you marry him? Why didn't you wait for me?" I try to back away away.
"I don't know you," I snap.
"I still love you," he whispers, "tell me you still feel the same."
"I don't know you." I try to close the door on him, but but he grabs me by the arms roughly and drags me into the room.
     "Let me go!" I scream, squirming against him. He pushes me down onto my bed.
He runs a hand over my belly. "You're carrying his child."
"Please let me go," I whisper, on the verge of tears.
He leans down and kisses my baby bump. "Get some rest, my love." He stares at me for a couple seconds and leaves, closing the door gently.
I bury myself in my sheets, heart ponding. What just happened? Do I tell Edward?
——————————
I search through Catherine's diary for William's name. Judging from what he said earlier, they must have been lovers. Strangely, I can't find his name anywhere. I sigh and drop the notebook.
"What's with the sigh?"
I look up and see Edward. "Nothing, just a little tired."
"I have something to tell you," Edward says, sitting down on the bed beside me.
I nod.
"My cousin is here."
"Oh..." I look down at my hands nervously.
"He's here for my crown."
I gasp, "but why? And how?"
"The nobles, they're unhappy with me. They're turning to him. And he's marrying Valerie."
      "Wait. What?" I nearly scream at Edward, "he's marrying Valerie?" Isn't he in love with Catherine?
       "She's going to support him, through connections and money."
        "Valerie wouldn't hurt you, she loves-"
        "She hates me," Edward cuts me off. "It doesn't matter. I'm the rightful king. I won't let them steal my throne."
       An idea pops into my head. "Edward...the murder of your family, do you think it could have been..."
      "My uncle's family?"
       I nod.
       "That's what I've always thought."
        I remember last night and start to tremble.       "What is it?" Edward demands, sounding worried.
        "Last night...he came to my room, and and he," I choke on my words, unable to finish.
       "William? Did he..."
        "No no." I shake my head. "It's nothing like that, but he kissed my neck and my my belly."
       "I'll kill him," Edward growls.
       "Don't do anything to aggravate him. I didn't get hurt. I just wanted you to know."
       "I can't just let this go."
       "Please stay safe," I grab his arm, "please I don't want him to hurt you."
       "Don't worry," he kisses my forehead, "I will keep my crown and protect us. No one will be able to hurt us."
        "Are you going to give in to the demands of the the nobles for their support?"
       "No, I have to protect my people. Many are already starving, I can't make it worse."
       "Then what will you do?"
       Edward looks away. "An eye for an eye."
       My blood runs cold. "No, you're not going to kill him, are you?"
      "His family murdered mine."
       "But you're not sure."
       Edward stands up. "Doesn't matter. It's the only solution. I have some things to take care of. Get some rest."
      "No," I take his hand and squeeze it, "you're not going to kill him. You're not a murderer. This isn't about what he did to me, right?"
     "If I do it this way, you and my people do not get hurt."
      "Tell me you're not doing this because of what I told you."
      "I'm doing this for you and my crown."
     "I know you're doing this for me, but this is about killing an actual person who has not committed a crime."
     "He deserves it." Edward shakes off my hand. "I have to go."
     "If he's planning to take your crown, find evidence and charge him with treason. Execute him. Just don't murder him, please."
     "Why are you protecting him?"
     "I'm not. I just don't want you to have to live in guilt of murder. Especially when I'm not going to be by your side after the babies are born. I don't want you to suffer.
    "You'll always be with me," he snaps, "and I've made up my mind."
     The dream. It's coming true.