Chapter Thirty

Maeve had never particularly minded needing to cover herself up. It made the goal of getting dressed very simple. And having a body that would always be horrific was surprisingly freeing. It was never going to get better. Once she let go of worrying about looks, she could instead spend the time focussing on things she was passionate about. Like trivia nights with the elderly and hanging out with the homeless under bridges. That was another good thing - being so disgusting herself, she gave zero shits about other people's appearance. Whether that be physical or their place in the weird hierarchy society shoved on everyone.

The only person who'd appreciate her body in the future was a burn specialist Aizawa made her visit yearly. They were always impressed with the state of the damaged skin.

What could she say? Maeve had gotten very good at moisturising.

So when the girls in 1A invited her to the hot springs with them, and she made up an excuse without needing to think about it, Maeve really didn't care. The only issues began when certain people began questioning her decision.

"Come on, it'll be fun! You don't need to be shy," Ashido beamed, extending a hand.

"Public baths just really aren't my thing. I feel enough of people during the day, seeing them as well just makes it weird," Maeve chuckled gently. She shooed them away with her gloves.

"Go on, enjoy yourselves!"

"If it's about your hands... None of us care about that," Uraraka said breathily, brown eyes flicking between Maeve's palms and her face.

"It's not. Okay, I'll confess. Due to a failed experiment, my skin below the neck is made of coffee grounds. If I soaked in your spring you lot would be bouncing off the walls for the rest of the week. Off with you," the surgeon ordered with an amused expression. They reluctantly filed out of the dining room to get ready.

"Have fun being a boring spinster," Kaminari teased, flicking her bun as he went past.

"Have fun electrocuting the male population of 1A. There's a lot of minerals in the water, it's extra conductive," Maeve yawned and settled back in her chair. Kaminari just laughed and sparks flew through his hair. The other guys gave each other nervous glances. Everyone filed out, until only Todoroki was left, pretending to pack up.

"Spice, that isn't fooling anyone. Go on, you definitely need a bath."

"I actually thought I'd stay here to keep you company," he murmured, packing up some dishes.

"You can supply me the enjoyment of your stimulating conversation and razor-sharp wit anytime you want. Hot springs, however, are not as prevalent in your life as myself. Enjoy it while you're here," Maeve replied cheerfully. 

"The way you talk sometimes is very strange," was all he said in reply. Maeve sighed.

"I'm used to hiding things. Seriously, I'm really good at it, I could be a politician if I wasn't such an incredible person. Don't feel you need to cheer me up out of a sense of guilt. It's fine."

Todoroki hesitated.

"It's just... It's not fair. You shouldn't feel you need to cover yourself all the time."

"We've been here before. Fair has nothing to do with it. I'll have a shower later, but for now, I'm planning on crushing dad at speed."

When he still wouldn't leave, she narrowed her eyes at him.

"This isn't just about being a nice little bro, is it? Ahhhh wait. This is some honourable attempt to preserve the guys' dignity."

His closed-off expression told her she was close.