Chapter 15: The Old One

Dovahkiin POV

We traveled to High Hrothgar to see Arngeir. He of all people should know what Shout was used to defeat Alduin, but Lydia and Aela had to wait outside. They don't just let anyone inside.

Arngeir: Why is it that you come see us now Dragonborn?

Dovahkiin: I need to learn a Shout that is capable of knocking dragons out of the sky.

Arngeir: How did-it was the Blades that you've been with recently. I feared they would seek you out. Blood-thirsty they are.

Dovahkiin: I agree with you on that. They say they serve me, but I've been doing all the work. They claim that they are supposed to guide and serve the Dragonborn, but they are mistaken. You, the Greybeards, and even the Companions have helped me more than them. The Blades might've put me on the right path, but that path has many things wrong with it.

Arngeir: It eases me knowing that you see them for who they truly are. Fools who meddle in things that are beyond them.

Dovahkiin: You're welcome, but I still need to find this Shout.

Arngeir: I'd teach it to you, but I don't know it.

Dovahkiin: Then who does?

Arngeir: No one does except for the creators of the Shout.

Dovahkiin: What is this Shout supposed to do?

Arngeir: The Shout is called Dragonrend. It is said to make dragons have a feeling of what it's like to be mortal.

Dovahkiin: What separates mortals and dragons in such a way?

Arngeir: Mortality. Dragons are more attuned to time than all other creatures on Nirn. We age, wither, and die. Dragons don't go through the same cycle as mortals. However the Shout works temporarily. You might think it's an ordinary Shout like the others, but it isn't. All other Shouts are made in the language of dragons known as Dovahzul, but this Shout was the first made by mortals to strike a blow to dragonkind.

Dovahkiin: It must be powerful, but I still don't see what the big problem is.

Arngeir: The problem is that when you absorb Words of Power, you take their meaning into you. Dragonrend was created with the hatred and rage against dragons. You'd be taking all of that hatred and rage into you by doing that.

Dovahkiin: I don't know about this, but it's the only option I have.

Arngeir: There is someone who could know the Shout. Our master, Paarthurnax might know it. He lives on the top of the mountain where he meditates. We shall teach you the Shout you need to get there.

TIMESKIP

I felt bad that I asked Lydia and Aela to wait at the bottom of the mountain in Ivarstead's inn. I had finally reached the top of the mountain only to be greeted by an unknown voice. This voice belonged to something big, but it sounded like it had lived for a long time. I looked to the sky to see that the voice was coming from a dragon. I was going to attack, but it was calm and collected. 

Paarthurnax: It has been long since I've had anyone come up here

Paarthurnax: It has been long since I've had anyone come up here. Why have you come Joor? (Mortal?)

Dovahkiin: A-are you Paarthurnax?

Paarthurnax: Yes, and why have you come here Dovahkiin?

Dovahkiin: How did you know?

Paarthurnax: Who else would want to come and see me? I presume you are here for something.

Dovahkiin: Yes I am, I am here to learn the Dragonrend Shout.

Paarthurnax: To slay Alduin yes? I will tell you what I know, but first we must greet like proper dovah.

TIMESKIP

Paarthurnax: YES! It has been so long since I have felt the voice of another dovah. Now onto more serious matters. You wish to learn Dragonrend?

Dovahkiin: Yes

Paarthurnax: Why?

Dovahkiin: Excuse me?

Paarthurnax: Why is it that you wish to learn such a Shout? Is it to fulfill you destiny or is it something else?

Dovahkiin: I...I.......I DON'T KNOW! ALL THIS TIME I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT I MUST SLAY ALDUIN TO STOP THE DESTRUCTION OF OUR WORLD, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S THE RIGHT WAY. IT'S JUST THAT...THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT HER THAT MAKES ME NOT WANT TO KILL HER. SHE'S EVIL, BUT THERE MUST BE A REASON WHY. ALL THIS TIME I'VE BEEN FIGHTING AND TRAINING JUST TO FIGHT HER ONE DAY. SHE MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE THE WILL TO DO IT. IF SHE'S GONE THEN...THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AFTER THAT.........I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled like that.

Paarthurnax: No Dovahkiin, you have concealed those truths for too long. It is good that you decide to speak out about these emotions. There are reasons behind her motives. The Dovah once ruled Skyrim long ago. It was peaceful until the Nords decided to rebel. She could be doing this to take back what was rightfully hers. She was always known for being cocky for being the firstborn.

Dovahkiin: I can understand that. I would want to take back what's mine if someone took it.

Paarthurnax: Alduin is a strange one indeed and takes up after her father quite a bit. 

Dovahkiin: Yeah, but lets move to more pressing matters.

Paarthurnax: Ah yes, Dragonrend, I don't actually know the Shout.

Dovahkiin: Seriously?!

Paarthurnax: There could still be a way you can learn it. Long ago, when Alduin was defeated, she wasn't actually killed. Then again, she's unique among her own kind. The Heroes of Old used an Elder Scroll to defeat her. 

Dovahkiin: What's an Elder Scroll?

LordAuthor259: Basically the center of the whole franchise. I mean c'mon it's the first part of the title for each game.

Paarthurnax: It is difficult to fully explain it in your tongue. The Elder Scrolls are fragments of creation or artifacts that existed outside of time. An Elder Scroll was used to cast Alduin forward in time. 

Dovahkiin: All they did was delay the inevitable.

Paarthurnax: They couldn't kill her and that was their best option. The Elder Scroll however, had created a sort of Time-wound right here on the Throat of the World. If you can find an Elder Scroll, you could us it to see how Alduin was defeated and learn Dragonrend. How you find one is up to you?

Dovahkiin: This will be no easy task. You can't just find a piece of creation like that.

Paarthurnax: Tell me Dovahkiin, could you have feelings for the World-Eater?

Dovahkiin: W-what?! How would that even work?

Paarthurnax: You still have the soul of a dovah. 

Dovahkiin: Why do you ask this?

Paarthurnax: You're not the only one who seeks to change their destiny. Be cautious Dovahkiin, for the World-Eater may have plans for you.

Well that ends today's chapter. Feel free to comment, leave a suggestion, and follow me on Wattpad. I hope some of you would like to answer this question. Why do you like Paarthurnax and what is he to you? Farewell for now, my subjects.