10. Hot Chocolate

1 0 .

hot chocolate

PARTIES WERE NOT MY KIND OF THING.

I'd been to my fair share of high school parties in the past, if by fair share you meant zero. I mean, I'd been invited to a couple through Riley who seemed to know almost everyone in the school, but I'd never really had any reason to go.

Until today.

I tugged on my top, pulling it down in an attempt to hide a bit more of my midriff. Riley stepped closer, swatting at my hands and hitching the shirt even higher so that it rested right beneath my bra.

"Come on, Aspen," she scolded, smoothing out the top. "Live a little. You have a hot body. I'd kill for it."

I rolled my eyes at her. Riley had come over early in the afternoon and immediately stuffed me in a pair of blue, ripped skinny jeans and a black, off-shoulder crop top with long sleeves. It wasn't anything too revealing, but it hugged my body tightly and showed off a good amount of my stomach - something I wasn't entirely used to.

I wrapped my arms around my exposed skin. I had never been too insecure of my body. I was lucky to be somewhat tall, and I had a nice waist to make up for my lack of cleavage. Riley on the other hand was all curves.

She wore a tight black dress with a deep, low cut neckline. She had the chest and the hips to pull it off. She stood taller than usual in heels, looking to impress Arthur Andrews, while I wore my usual white sneakers.

"Shut up, Riley, you know you look hot," I teased, whacking her arm.

She grinned at me. "I know," she admitted, twirling her long, straightened hair around her finger. "But you needed the confidence boost."

I laughed, pulling her into a tight hug. "I love you, you know."

"You'd better, considering all the effort I put into getting you Isaac Hensick ready," she joked.

I snorted. She was right. She'd pulled my usually messy brown locks into long neat waves and she'd done my makeup so perfectly I looked like an Instagram model.

"You wouldn't even be invited to this party if it wasn't for me," I fired back.

"You're right, and I love you, Aspen," she spoke sweetly. Her smile turned into a mischievous smirk. "Which is why I'm going to be the best wing woman ever and set you up with Isaac tonight."

I rolled my eyes, grabbing my phone and keys and shoving them into my pockets. "Riley, that's a pipe dream that's never going to happen."

She grinned, pulling her handbag over her shoulder and heading for the door. "Not if I have anything to do with it."

The ride to Arthur Andrew's house in the fancy uptown neighbourhoods twenty minutes from my place was mostly uneventful. Riley chattered on and on about how she was going to seduce Arthur through her witty personality and even better looks.

Meanwhile, I wrung my fingers together, nervous about the party.

My heart raced just standing beside Isaac, much less standing beside him in a dark, loud room full of drunk teenagers. That was if I'd even see him tonight.

The last text he'd sent me was filled with the details of tonight's party. I'd replied with a thank you, and that was it. We were back to our usual routines.

Riley pulled up outside of Andrews house. It was huge, with three stories and a lawn bigger than my house. Music blasted loudly, teenagers flooding in and out of the doors leaving red cups in their wake. Cars lined the streets and filled the driveway, and we were lucky to get a spot nearby.