one

edited
wc ≈2050

Kirishima traced the tip of his thumb around the loose shoelaces tied around his worn out sneakers. The one's with torn soles as dry dust and hard soil filled the betweens. As he continues to fiddle with a sole of one of his shoes, he heaves a worn sigh with his shoulders hanging. The air he breathes is suffocating, and his limbs practically wilt to the ground.

his raven locks canopies over his forehead, catching dust particles that'd twist and turn before him... highlighting themselves beyond the sunlight that bled through his attic windows.

Kirishima takes a deep breath in. He felt alright since he's breathing just fine? It's not like he isn't used to the surrounding frigid, fogged and dust heavy atmosphere he lives in daily. Everyone here was used to this... it didn't bother anyone anymore, that's just how people adapt. After all, it's not like they could complain anymore, not for a long while now. The destruction of the state, and many more, happened quite some time ago now. His sector, however, was probably one of the most fucked sectors. The violence in the sector was more common than most, for sure.

Some time passes by and Kirishima is snapped out of his thoughts by the creak of wooden floors. He turns to the crack in the door, watching it struggle open. In his doorway stood a petite girl with a glum expression. He would say it's because she's just woken up, but her expression is usually always glum.

Kirishima shoots her a half-hearted smile and she does the same.

"Somebody up early?"

"Unusual isn't it?"

She changes the subject in almost the wink of an eye. "Have you taken your-"

"No" Kirishima cuts her off, knowing what she was about to ask. "I will soon."

She nods. "Just curious, is all" her tone hesitant. She picks at the splinters of Kirishima's door. "Well, I need to get ready. Morning announcement's at eight, okay!?"

"'Kay" Kirishima huffs. Another day another morning announcement.

When Kirishima's parents had passed away from a disease even he was unaware of, his lifelong childhood friend, Kyoka Jirou, took him into their life. Now he lives with Jirou and her family. Though they were not siblings biologically, she will always be family. They are his family now, for as long as he's known life.

They both depended on each other, clinging against each other.

It's not like from time to time Kirishima didn't feel pissed off at Jirou, as now is one of those times. What a pain, Kirishima huffs. Why does Jirou think I wouldn't take my medication?

Kirishima rolls his eyes. I'm no rebel.

Now attached to the floor, he didn't want to move from his spot. He didn't have the motivation either. Knowing he'd have to leave soon, he exhales. "Do I have to?"

The early day yawns a chilly breeze throughout the room, and Kirishima shivers at the slightest touch. If I don't move now...

With the morning announcement on his mind he manages to shift into a position that would allow him to pick himself off the planks. His knuckles cracking against the semi-scratchy floors as he pushes himself up.

Walking over to the side of his bed, he makes sure to cautiously open the drawers to the bedside table, and within the drawer held three transparent containers. Two of which were filled to the brim with pills. "Four a day" whispers he, twisting the cap.

He shakes two into his free palm, two now two later, he thinks, same fucking routine.

Sitting on the edge of his bed, he downs the pills dry. For a moment it hurt the back of his throat, he attempts to sooth it with gentle rubs. It's bitterness almost makes him gag. "Gross" he blurts out.