10

"Miss Weasley." Professor Snape remarked as Alexandra knocked on his office door. She stood in the doorway. "Well, don't just stand there."

"Yes, sir." She walked in. He'd cleared a space for her in the middle of the room. There was a single desk and chair in the corner.

"Before we begin, I must inform you I do not tolerate any time wasting. You are here to learn and only learn."

"Yes, professor Snape." She had a feeling backchatting him wouldn't help her out, and she didn't want to be on his bad side.

"Good. Now, let's start with what professor Quirrell taught you."

"We started practical spells last week, and before that we were reading 'first year DADA in theory'. We did the knockback jinx last week."

"I see. Seeing as I don't know what level exactly you're working at I've designed a series of test. Half are written, half are practical. Are you ready?"

"That's the point of these tests, isn't it?" She realised. "To always be ready even when I'm not. This isn't to find out where you should start my studies. I'm a first year, barely a few weeks in to the school year."

"Hmm. Perhaps you won't be so incompetent after all." He said, looking at her. He handed her a two-paged booklet. "Your first assessment." She took it and sat down at the table, getting out her writing supplies. once she finished he handed her another and they carried on until she finished the three papers. He then had her stand at the front and demonstrate jinxes and countercurses, offensive and defensive spells. She was aware that some weren't something an average first year would know but kept her mouth shut, performing body binds, weather-manipulating charms, the seize and pull charm, et cetera. Her final spell was the counter curse to end all her jinxes.

"Finite incantatem!" She said and the room started to repair inself and go back to the way it was before.

"Where exactly did you learn all these spells?"

"Well, I couldn't do practical magic before I came to Hogwarts, but my brothers taught me everything they knew. Theory-wise."

"I hardly doubt any of your brothers know half of the spells you've just performed."

"It was mainly Bill, Charlie and Percy. They'd teach me what they learnt, and sometimes after Bill graduated and could do magic at home, he would show me the spells he knew." Alexandra shrugged.

"Miss Weasley, you've never done magic before, correct?"

"Well there was the occasional accidental magic, like when I was seven and Fred was being mean, I made him disappear."

"You made your brother disappear?"

"He was invisible. My parents didn't really believe it until later that night. Everyone thought George was just pranking them, because he was never too far away. Dad fixed him pretty quickly after that."

"Aside from the unintentional magic, you've never before done actual real magic?" Snape asked disbelievingly.

"No." Alexandra said curiously. "Why?"

"I don't know if there's anything Hogwarts can offer you when it comes to defense against the dark arts." He said. "Can you produce a patronus?"

"I've never tried." She frowned. "I have to think of a happy memory and say expecto patronum, right?"

"Yes. Why don't you give it a go?" He urged. She nodded and closed her eyes. She thought of the day Bill had tried to bake her a birthday cake for her eleventh birthday, almost a year before she'd get to go to Hogwarts. She smiled.