16 | the outsider

| meliorism |
chapter sixteen
there goes the neighborhood ❞

| meliorism |chapter sixteen ❝ there goes the neighborhood ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

    Rhena began to wonder, what could it be like if she was another person. What could it feel like to be under control of her emotions, to feel good about herself, to feel enough.

The older you get, the less control you had over your heart. Sure, people succeeded at managing their emotions and actions, but people were great at hiding and pretending too.

She quietly ate her lunch, occasionally looking at the boy sitting in front of her in the table outside. The weather was nice that day, so everyone took the opportunity to enjoy the day.

    Rhena and Tyler didn't talked while they sat there, they just simply stayed there. For the last few days, Tyler had been around her a lot, at school and even at work. For some reason, he felt safe with her.

The two had bonded over not having friends lately. Matt had been with Caroline most of the time, leaving him alone. He had other friends, but lately, he couldn't stand anyone. He was annoyed by everyone pretty quickly, but not by her. Maybe it was because she barely talked or because she wasn't pestering him all the time. The two had a lot of pain being bottled up.

Rhena didn't mind, he was the only one that didn't looked at her with judgy eyes. She hadn't talk to any of her friends, because she felt she was bothering them. Although she had apologized to her siblings, there was still tension between them. Tyler had been sitting with her, sometimes talking about random topics, or just being there, but she didn't mind.

But it was more than that, because even if they didn't realized, the two were slowly going into the deep end, and soon, their friendship would just be a distant memory. Like everything in her life.

Just as she was about to get to throw away a wrapper, someone in front of their table cleared their throat, making the two look up.

Matt waved a little, smiling lightly at the two "can I sit?"

    Rhena and Tyler looked up at each other, and she silently told him that it was okay, she knew he missed him. Tyler looked up at Matt and nodded, causing the other boy to smile and put down his lunch in the table, sitting between the two.

    "What brings you here? Got tired of Caroline already?" Tyler turn to see Matt, and she instantly send him a look, not liking the way he talked about her friend.

"No, we're together now, we're making it work" Matt answered, shrugging lightly.

"That's good to hear" Rhena said quietly, taking another bite off her sandwich.