Appear to Disappear

For days she awaited Chris' text to her about meeting whoever it was she had to meet. It was undeniable that the excitement and curiosity occupied her mind for a while- ticking Levi off in the process for giving him half-witted answers.

Tomorrow was supposed to be the day that they were going to go to the expedition, but they haven't been forcefully brought back yet, which seemed to be good news for all of them.

"What do you want for lunch?" Levi asked, walking out of the bathroom.

"Sure," she answered, distracted, staring out the window from her couch.

He glared as he walked up to her, grasping her chin.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked her with slight urgency in his voice, curious about whatever occupied her mind.

"I'm thinking about the why Chris wants me to meet this guy. Why me specifically?" she swatted her hand.

"Because he wants you to tell him that you're unavailable and you have a boyfriend." he gave her a small kiss and walked off into the kitchen.

She followed behind and wrapped her arms around him. "Levi, I'm not going to date other people, how many times to I have to tell you?" she pinched him. "I think there's a different reason. Chris would never just try to get me to date people."

"Don't let it distract you. There are far too many things to worry about." she pulled away from him. "I can go with you to meet him if you want."

She frowned at him.

"Or I can just stay home." he gave up for the sake of avoiding an argument.

"Thank you, Levi." her frown turned into a smile. "Don't worry though, he hasn't even texted me yet. He probably forgot or it's actually not as important as Rachel made it out to be." she pursed her lips.

"(y/n)! (y/n)!" Hange ran out of her room, shaking the phone in her hand. "Your device is doing that thing again!"

She took the phone from Hange and thanked her, the ringtone repeating again and again.

"Linda," she exhaled as she answered the phone, hoping that it was Chris that called.

"(y/n)! I really don't want to do this, but do you mind taking over my shift today? My kid's sick and I have to take him home from school." Linda explained through the phone, her panicked voice being blatantly audible.

"Sure thing, Linds. I'll be there in half an hour." she responded.

"Thank you so much! I'm so sorry to bother you. I had no one else to ask, everyone was busy!" Linda stated.

"It's fine, just make sure your son is alright. I'll see you soon!" she answered and finished the call as she walked straight into her bedroom to change.

"What happened?" Levi asked, opening the door to her room.

She squealed and covered herself, "Levi, get out please, I have to get changed!" Her face turned red, and her ears were fuming.

Levi walked out without hesitation, closing the door behind him.

"Lock your doors next time." he talked through the door. "Hange's going to make fun of me for getting flustered." he said in a quieter tone.

She rubbed her warm red cheeks and quickly changed. It was such an unexpected shift, but she couldn't refuse it.

"I gotta go to work, I'll see you guys later!" she called out to Hange and Levi who were bickering once again.