06 | rυɴαwαy

I don't wanna live this way

Gonna take my things and go

Chapter 06 ~ Runaway

        Jamie Myers

The mystery that surrounded Scar was much bigger than I originally anticipated. Walking in on his unconscious alcoholic mother and observing a less-than-friendly altercation with his sister has made me more intrigued with him. I knew he had to be suppressing a memory of something, or someone, in the back of his mind. He was hurting on the inside, but he was too stubborn to let anyone know.

Looking at him now and watching the sunlight hit his face, he truly was beautiful. His turquoise colored eyes seemed almost inhuman, the way they looked under the sun. His short tufts of brown hair stuck out in all directions, but that kind of messy looked great on him. His teeth caught onto the corner of his lip and he couldn't have looked more sexy biting his lip like that.

"Can you stop staring at me like that?" He asked suddenly, not turning to face me but continuing to count the money in the collection box for the thousandth time, and biting his lip in concentration.

I leaned against the booth and chuckled to myself. "Don't flatter yourself, Patterson. I wasn't looking at you. I was looking at that hot guy over there."

As if to confirm, Scar's attention instantly snapped into the distance, searching for alleged hot guy. He glanced over at me, sighed, then continued counting his money. "So far, we've made twenty dollars. That's way worse than yesterday."

The sun was starting to set and in a couple of minutes, the carnival would close for the day. I watched as girl after girl passed by the kissing booth without giving it a second glance. They continued on their merry way, giggling as they did so.

I already knew the reason why the kissing booth was so unpopular today was because Francesca was going around and talking smack about Scar, making all the girls want to stay away from him.

Scar sighed once more and slumped against the booth with his head buried in his hands. I didn't know why I felt the need to comfort him, considering that the money wasn't even going to a good cause, but I had the sudden urge to hug him. But that might've been for other reasons.

I stood up straight and dug into my back pocket for my wallet, pulling out a folded hundred dollar bill. I handed it to him. "Here."

Scar lifted his head from his hands and gave me a puzzled look. "What's that for?"

"For you," I answered. "It may not be as much as you made yesterday, but I know how much those uniforms mean to you. So, take it."

His brows knitted together in confusion as he stared at me a little longer with his intense green eyes. He was reluctant for a few more moments before he took the cash and stuffed it into the metal box, not once removing his eyes from mine. "Thanks."

I offered him a genuine smile. "It's no problem, really."

"Yeah," he said absentmindedly, still looking at me with that same puzzled look.

I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by a delicate female voice. When I redirected my attention to the gril with the big gray eyes and thick brown ringlets surrounding her chubby face, I smiled.

"Hey!" She greeted us.

I could practically feel Scar snap. "Amy," he seethed. "I told you to stay home with Mom. Why are you here?"

"Mom's okay now and one of the first responders told me I should have some fun instead of moping around all day and gave me a ride. He was really nice."