CHAPTER 36: THE THIRD YEAR

Episode 34: The Third Year

I watch Angie from afar as she plays by the sand pit with her friend, Grayson. It's been 3 long dreadful years, but I'm been coming in terms with my emotions and Gabriel's place in my life. I had to keep Angie in mind and her future. Kai has been a great help over the years, giving me talks once in a while to keep me in track.

I hold the urge to roll my eyes when I saw Grayson's babysitter sashay over to me.
" Hey Alexander," she draws out my name a little too seductively. Not very much to my liking.

" Hey Janet, everything okay?" I would have rather preferred Gabriel striking a conversation with me.

" Yes, much better in your company of course. I wanted to...know whether you're up for dinner later? Call it a date?" I felt the air knocked out from my lungs.

" Erm..Janet, look, I-I don't feel the same way, I'm already in a relationship." Her eyes narrow a tad bit.

" Oh, with who?"

" My boyfriend, Gabriel. And it's none of your business." She seems a little taken aback by my words.

" You're gay?" Shock evident in her voice

" Is that a problem?" I counter, a little roughness in my tone as I fold my arms across my chest.

Janet takes seat beside me, one leg pulled over the other. " I never met this Gabriel, is there something going on? Maybe trouble in paradise." My snake detector just blew up upon her words. She reminded me a lot of Kara.

" You're a little nosy, don't you think?"

" I see it more as...looking out for you, Alexander." I snicker upon her words.

" Well, there's nothing to be concerned about. It would only be a concern if I was dating someone like you, cause trust me, Gabriel is everything you're not. He's kind, smart, beautiful inside out and fucking perfect for me. So you can take your concern and shove that up your ass." I got to my feet, calling out to Angie, leaving Janet is a rather speechless state.

I felt like I was on my period on something. It was one of those phases in a month where I couldn't give a care in the world and Janet seemed to have blew it up.

" Angie, come on let's go get ice cream!" Without a second to waste, Angie waved to Greyson before dashing over to me.

With her hand in mine, I scan my surroundings - feeling something click within me : the certainty, the fact that I was sure and aware and once again, in control of my world.

The ice cream palor was right round the corner. " Daddy, Christmas is coming! Has Santa visited you?" That phrase was too familiar to my ear.

Glancing down to Angie licking her ice cream, I played along. "Oh yes he did! He told me your present as well." Her eyes lit up like the 4th of July.

" What is it daddy?!" Her small fingers grip my arm with such enthusiasm, a skip in her feet.

" He said your present will only come into place next year." Confusion swirled within her eyes.

" Daddy, please tell me. I promise I won't tell Santa that you told me!" She jumps on the spot, bundled with excitement and promise.

" I'll give you a kiss and hug too!" She adds on.

" Now that's very persuading, alright.." I squat down to her eye level, taking her hand in mine.

" Santa's gift is a plane ticket to America, where we will visit Uncle Gabriel next year!" A gasp leaves Angie's lips before she embraced me into a warm hug, planting kisses over my cheek.

" Will you come too daddy?"

" Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world."
Angie radiates excitement as rattles away about her love for Gabriel.

"Why can't we go this year?" She pouts upon realisation. Pulling a curl of her hair behind her ear, I carry her on my arm.

" Aunt Lina isn't feeling so well, Angie, we need to make sure she's feeing alright before we head out, okay?" Angie rests her chin on my shoulder with a reluctant nod.

" Till then, maybe you can draw for Uncle Gabriel a nice picture, he'll love that. We can surprise him on our visit." Her eyes brighten up, as she nods eagerly.

My heart beat speeds up a little upon the thought of meeting Gabriel soon.

Hold on a little longer, Gabriel, I'm coming.