5

I checked the cupboards this morning and realized that I was running low on stocks so I made a shopping list.

First I had to do some chores and I was more than grateful that Chrissann has a play date today. So it's going to he just me in the house that means that I could get everything done in time to pick her up and go grocery shopping.

I sat down in one of the chairs around the island in the kitchen to catch my breath after cleaning and doing the laundry. I even did a little dusting. I looked at the time and realized that I don't have enough time and I don't hurry up, I don't think I'm going to have enough time to wash off the sweat off of me.

I had a quick shower then jumped in my car throwing my purse on the passengers seat. I picked up Chrissann minutes after and I drove us both to the nearest store.

I started dropping food stuff in my shopping cart as I checked them off when I realized Chrissann wasn't beside me anymore.

I'm such a bad mother. How comes I didn't realize that she was missing? Please don't let me have to announce it on the mic in this supermarket because I'll get the stink eye from some of the parents.

I know I'm not the first parent to lose a kid at the supermarket but I didn't want to be one of them. I should have realized that she wondered off the minute she did because she was talking to me. Telling me about her playtime.

I don't panicked because I know she is not far behind me. I hope she doesn't stray too far. I'm more focus than this but lately it feels like I'm going in and out of consciousness like a person who was hit by something or fallen off of a place badly or something that cause then to go in and out of being conscious.

And on top of that I'm tired but that's no excuse to lose your child at a supermarket. I didn't call her name just looked for the little girl in a pink sweater, a ponytail, blue jeans and white sneakers. She should be easy to spot how many children will be with their parents in the same exact clothes.

I was going in and out of aisle searching for her until I finally found her in the snacks aisle. I breathe a sigh of relief that I didn't have to resort to calling her up front on the mic. I was going to walk up there and reprimand her for wondering off like that but paused in my step.

She was talking to someone and I paused. I thought about walking up to them to interrupt their conversation and get my daughter away from the strange. I slowly made my way closer to them but stopped again like my body was telling me not to go any closer and stand here.

Not to far and not too close but near enough to eavesdrop. "What are you doing alone? Who are you here with?" The person asked which I conclude from the deepness of his voice that he was a man. He kept a respectable distance from her crunching so he could be level with her, therefore I couldn't get a good look on his face.

I know she is giving him that look to analyze him to see if she could trust him and by the fact that she graced him with an answer means she isn't going to run off and scream stranger danger. "My mother. She always brings me to the supermarket with her but she wasn't paying much attention so I gave her the slip. And I don't think she notice that I'm gone." She said. She wasn't shying away when she answered and I bet the stranger is a bit taken aback by the fact that she isn't timid around strangers like she should have.

"And what is your name?" He asked.

"Chrissann." She answered holding her head high with pride. I smiled at her. She's very brave but I think I would have preferred if she was running and screaming stranger danger. What if she analyzed him wrong and he was a bad guy after all.

Then thought got my mind racing. "Well it's not nice to slip away from your mother like that. She must be worried sick about where you are." The stranger scold her. I was getting paranoid by the seconding so I decided to get her away from the stranger before he could kidnap her.

I don't know what's wrong with me. Why wasn't these the first thoughts I get when I saw my daughter talking to a stranger, a man in the aisle. You must think I've lost my mind.

Forgetting my shopping cart I ran toward Chrissann turning my back to the stranger.

"Chrissann." I called her name in a scolding way taking her hands in mine. In fact I should he the one scold. Which parent in there right mind would stand and watch their child talk to a stranger.

Looks like I've been losing my mind lately. "Mommy. How'd you find me?"

This is where the scolding begins. "Don't you ever do that again." I was half guilty when I've just watched he talk to the stranger.

"Yes Mommy." She held down her head knowing that it was wrong to wonder away from me.

I turned around to apologise to the stranger. "I'm so..." My breath hitched in my throat and my heart jumped once I turned around to see the face of the stranger. He's not so a stranger after all.

"Mommy huh?" He said raising a brow looking at Chrissann who I was clutching into like if I let her go I might faint.

Maybe if he said a hey but inside he said that made it more harder for me to open up my mouth and say something. He kept looking between me and the child. He's probably guessing her age to put things together.

"What are you doing here?" I blurted out my first thought to distract him. He stopped staring at Chrissann to look at me. He looked at her the last time then me. I know it was rude to say something like that like he shouldn't have been here but I had to say something. I didn't to just stand here staring at him in disbelief until things get awkward while he stares between me and his child.

I guess this is what I get for not telling him so somehow the universe had done it for me and it's up to me to do the rest but I can't just blurt it out to him now in this supermarket.

There we were standing in the supermarket in the snacks aisle. Him watching me while alot of emotions ate running through me. Constantly debating with myself. At this point I just want to runaway but that would childish.

"That's a bit weird to be asking someone what are they doing at the supermarket." He said lifting up his small basket.

Of course that I know that he is shopping. I mean what is he doing in Florida. There's millions of places he could have been so why here and why now.

Don't do this to me you stupid destiny. I'm not ready to face what this means. Gosh I'm such a coward.

I laughed awkwardly but he didn't share it with me probably thinking that I'm nuts.

"I'm sorry I'm just still recovering from the shock of seeing you here. How long has it been 5 years, 6 years. I'm not so sure. It seemed so long ago." I said recovering from the laugh.

"5 years and you're still as beautiful as ever." He said.

"What?" Did he said I was still beautiful?

"I was saying that it is good to see you again after so long, long that I didn't know you had a kid." He must be wondering why no one told him since he is still closed to my family after the wedding thing.

It turns out after the failed wedding my father and him came to an agreement that benefits them both so there was no need for marriage to joined the business together.

And since we don't have a brother he thought was it okay to make a deal with the Black.

From the surprise of seeing me with a child it was clear that they didn't even tell him I had a kid or his family and my family doesn't have family time together and it was strictly business.

Maybe after tge wedding it was a bit too awkward to sit down like friends again. I bet his parents were embarrassed.

We parted ways the both of us stealing glances at each other.