Prologue

"One of your children is destined to fall at the Dark Lords command"

Anna Diggory had always thought herself a strong woman. The world around her had been crumbling for almost as long as she could remember. All around her, people were dying - poor Benjy Fenwick, and Fabian and Gideon Prewett, and so many more. But Anna had remained resilient in the face of war. She carried them with her like a beloved family heirloom and continued to push forward into the darkness.

But now, a moment of dark epiphany. The bottom of her stomach seemed to have vanished into the air. She was numb and the world around her had gone mute. The words 'no, no, please no,' echoing in her head like a broken record.

Anna sat motionless at the circular table in Fortunes for the Misfortune. The candles adorning the table casting menacing shadows of the obscure chattels that decorated the darkroom.

"I'm sorry," a witch with tangled black hair whispered. She wore a headband with a half-moon hanging just above her wildly unkempt eyebrows. Her raspy voice had mirroring sentiments Anna had been forced to say to so many of her friends over the years.

"There has to be something you can do," Anna pleaded, finally looking up from her pregnant stomach to meet the onyx eyes of the witch.

"I told you last week, I can only see what the future has in store," the woman stated. She reached out to hold Anna's trembling hand. As she did the tattoos that covered her body scattered, seeking refuge beneath her clothes. Anna watched as a magically tattooed owl fluttered up her arm, finally resting on her exposed collarbone. It's yellow eyes watching Anna.

Anna inhaled deeply, she pulled her eyes away from the owl. "I won't bury one of my babies," Anna said, her voice was steadier than it had been in a week.

The witch met Anna's fierce gaze, her bushy eyebrows pushing downward. "Your husband made it clear he didn-"

"He's not here," Anna snapped quickly.

Amos had been Anna's whole world. But her world was about to grow by two, and she would not allow his cowardice to be the downfall of one of her unborn children.

"It will come at a cost," the witch replied, each word escaping at an excruciatingly slow rate. Anna nodded as she reached for her coin pouch, but the witch dismissed her.

"It won't be you who pays the biggest price," she said, her eyes fixated on Anna's stomach. Anna's hand recoiled from the witch and rested her hand on her stomach.

"W-what exactly are you saying?" She asked, her hands shielding her children like an iron wall.

"Anna," the witch began, her eyes meeting Anna's again. "What you're asking for...it could give your children the tools to escape their fate...but it's dark magic. This type of magic will have...side effects..."