Chapter 45: Red Glow

A little gasp escaped Jisung's lips when he woke up from a nightmare he only remembered in bits but those were enough to scare him to death. He shot up from his bed and looked around in the rather dark room like a scared animal with wide eyes and short breaths. Noticing the unfamiliar plain walls and the simple furniture of the room he was currently in, wasn't making his anxiety go away at all, so he tried thinking rationally, remembering where he was exactly and how he got here but he was only met with images of uncountable bodies on a red-golden carpet along with the big halls of a gigantic palace and glimpses of dark blue hair.

The young warlock shook his head, trying to get rid of those blurry images and finally focus on the things at hand. Where was he? Why was he here? How did he get here? Slowly it dawned to him that he was in a guest room of the NCT headquarter. He was here because it was decided that it would be safer for Changbin and him to stay with the rather big, experienced group. Minho and Felix stayed too since it was considered to be too dangerous to let them live at their family's house in Yellow Wood alone.

"Jisung, are you okay?", the young warlock heard Minho ask. Jisung looked around and was met with the piercing green cat eyes of the older, who was calmly walking over to the younger. The cat hybrid's eyes seemed to glow in the light of the night sky, which was falling through the curtains of the rather big windows.

Minho, Jisung, Felix and Changbin shared a room with two very comfortable bunk beds but Changbin was seemingly very busy with his new role as the temporary king of all vampires, which led to him being barely present in this room.

That Changbin would have to take on the role of king so soon even if it was temporary let Jisung feel like he had failed the young vampire crown prince. Jisung had a vision of the fire at the Sky clan territory but he had been surprised by the ambush on the vampire palace just like everyone else.

The news of Changbin being the temporary king of the vampires hadn't been delivered by the vampire prince himself but Jae and Younghyun, who filled Jisung, Minho and Felix in on the situation around Changbin to make them understand that their friend will probably be very busy in the next time.

This happened around a week ago and Changbin really didn't spend much time with them. He seemed to be around Taeyong a lot but he was always followed by Jae, Younghyun and Dowoon, which Jisung deemed reasonable since they had known the vampire prince the longest and probably helped him a lot to deal with political vampire stuff.

Changbin seemed to handle being king surprising well. So well that Jisung had once seen him in the headquarter's corridor and needed to remind himself that this was his friend from school, who was only around a year older than him. The vampire seemed so much more professional but also a bit distant. It reminded him of the way Changbin had behaved around the vampires at Miroh High but it was with less disinterest and more coldness.

Of course this sudden change in Changbin's character was a surprise for his friends but they understood his current situation thanks to Jae and Younghyun and patiently waited for the vampire prince to come to them if he needed something. After all Jisung was certain that Jae, Younghyun and Dowoon were taking good care of their temporary king, making him not worried too about Changbin's wellbeing.

"Talk to me, Hannie", Minho said, sitting down beside Jisung while looking at the warlock with concern being evident in his piercing green cat eyes. Jisung ripped himself out of his thoughts and let his gaze meet Minho's. His brain needed a minute to register what the other had said but as soon as it did he wanted to cry at the use of the nickname.