Chapter 62: Lovers in the Borgian Castle

After the conversation I had with Aiden, I went back to the castle to find Threy. Unfortunately, he was in a closed door meeting with the captains, elders, and Lord Boris and I knew that the meeting would take most of the day when they requested for their food to be served inside the conference room. I spent the lunch time with Aiden, Erasmus, and Roger. It was really a good thing that Aiden found friends in the Obsidian pirates. They made it easier for him to recuperate from his loss.

I decided to have a tea in one of the balconies when I got bored of waiting. Unfortunately, someone was already there and before I was able to retreat, the person had already noticed me.

"So I heard the little cat tried to kill you. Funny how one could be so protective of you and then the next day would decide to eliminate you."

I had expected to receive mockery from Janeia but I didn't presume that she would attack Dorothy instead of me. I wasn't the kind of a woman who would easily succumb to her anger, but this one was getting too low that it made me want to kick her down to the ground. But then, that would be unladylike. Therefore, keeping my calm composure, I walked towards her on the table and sat there like we were just old friends having tea in the afternoon.

"Do you know what's funnier than that? It's the fact that she could easily shoot you in the forehead that night but I stopped her. Imagine being targeted by an assassin the first time she saw you. At least in my case, someone had ordered her to do it. But, you? I don't know. She didn't even know you that well. You must be really rotting inside that she could smell it and made her want to eradicate you."

The hatred in her eyes was evident as she put her cup of tea on the table. I knew I should be prepared if ever she tried to harm me again with it. In any case, it was my turn to ruin her day.

"Do I have to remind you that you have a poisonous blood that killed lots of people in the past? Now tell me who's really a rotting bitch between us," she countered.

I laughed humourlessly. It was pretty obvious that she almost had nothing to throw against me that she would attack my past – the past in which I couldn't do anything about. But I had long accustomed myself to her accusations that it didn't affect me that much anymore if it was coming from her. I had given her my thoughts about that and apologized for what happened between our bloodlines.

"I wasn't born yet by that time, Janeia. And if you really know me, I would have done something to prevent it. But it was a history I did not exist and a past I could not change – that even you could not change. There are only two things we have control of at the moment: the present and our emotions. And how we're holding them depends on our own hands. Are you holding yourself well, Janeia? How long are you going to play the victim card?"

The mockery that laced my words seemed to anger her even more. I could say that she was on the verge of losing her poise. "Are you denying the crimes of your blood?"

"I don't," I immediately replied. "What I'm saying is that I'll do everything I can to make things right. And that whatever happens, I'll stay on Threy's side."