24. what they do

After a couple of seconds of pondering on what to do, I finally turn around and follow Derek to the bar. The music continues in the background, along with everyone cheering and partying like nothing is wrong...nothing is wrong, right?

Derek is leaning against the bar, facing the bartender, but I can see how tense his shoulders are as I make my way towards him. Is this a normal reaction to seeing your ex unexpectedly? I try to imagine what I would feel if Kevin suddenly walked in, just like Sadie did. I haven't seen him in such a long time. It would definitely feel awkward but I like to think that I would be able to move on and continue on with the party.

"Hey," I say softly as I stand next to Derek. I look at his side profile. God. He's so handsome, even when he's uncomfortable or stressed; I'm not sure what he's feeling right now. I don't like the uncertainty. "Are you alright?" I ask, shyly.

He straightens up and looks at me. A small smile appears on his lips but there's still a faint frown on his forehead. "Hey, Gin, yes. Sorry, just needed a drink." he brings the glass up to his lips and finishes the shot then he motions the bartender for more.

"Is this the first time you're seeing your ex since the breakup?" I ask quietly, just for his ears. I know that people are always watching when it comes to Derek, especially when something like this happens. This will probably be all over social media tomorrow. I can almost see the headlines. DEREK COLLINS WAS SEEN PARTYING WITH EX-GIRLFRIEND, SADIE.

It hasn't happened yet, but it already stings. Then I remember that they were actually seen together a few days ago. So this is not the first time they see each other.

Derek looks away and I regret asking him that right now. Maybe it wasn't the right time. But then he shakes his head. "No," he says looking at me. "I saw her a few days ago. We're going to start promoting the new movie soon." he shrugs.

I bite my lip and ponder what he just said. Right. They have a movie coming out. They're going to start promoting it soon...which means he'll be spending a lot of time with her. In front of cameras...and probably alone.

Derek reaches out and puts his arm around my waist. He pulls me so that I'm in front of him, my back is against the bar. "I'm sorry for being a party pooper," he says with an amused look on his face. "I'll stop."

I look up at him. I want to tell him that he's not the party pooper, Sadie is, but I bite my lip. I have so many questions but I know it's not the time. It's a party, there are people all around us. I decide to wait until we're alone. Derek looks down at my lips then he tips his head so our lips can meet. I close my eyes to try to ignore the people around us and part my lips, inviting him in. I place my hands on his torso, inside his jacket and he takes a step closer to me as he kisses me.

It's a long kiss, but not nearly long enough. It feels like I can kiss him forever. I wish I could. There's something about the way Derek kisses me that makes me feel both wanted and sexy. His mouth is possessive but gentle.

He rests his forehead against mine after he pulls away. We're both a little out of breath and I lick my lips. Derek places his fingers under my chin and pulls it up.

"What you do that for?" he asks before pressing his lips against mine again. I smile then I feel his tongue on my lower lip and a gasp escapes from my lips.

We need to stop before the waterworks start.

"Derek." I whisper.

He pulls away and grins at me then his hand finds mine. "Let's go dance?"

I smile then nod excitedly.

He turns around and pulls me into the crowd. We don't stop until we're in the middle, everyone around us is dancing, and Derek puts his hands on my waist as our bodies begin to move with the music.