It's A Start

He didn't look away, he didn't speak. I felt my heart skipping rapidly in my chest as the conclusions were now being drawn in my mind. I didn't dare move or speak, scared that the smallest move would render the moment over. This was something big, something that I knew I had no chance of getting out of him again, not easily anyway. The man in front of me was a mystery to almost everyone, I wasn't going to waste a single chance of knowing more about him.

"My 'baby' brother, that's what my mom always referred to him as. I was nine when he was born." A small smile crept on his face, but his eyes remained glassy and troubled.

His fingers slid down my arm, then rested on my wrist. His eyes lingered there, watching the soft circles he traced on my skin. The move sent goosebumps blossoming along my skin.

"I loved having a brother, and our dad, he loved having two sons. He was a family man, nothing else was more important than us and mom. He always had time for us, taught us everything we knew about cars, helped me get my first job at a garage. Kyle and my dad were inseparable, whenever he was home."

"What do you mean, when he was home?" The words slipped out before I could stop them. He looked up at me, seeming like he just remembered I was there. I was scared I had ruined it, but instead, he sank into the chair in front of me, and continued.

"My dad was in the army. He was proud of his job, and taught us to stand up for what's right, and to protect those we love. We wouldn't see him for months at a time, but he always made it count when he came home. Until he didn't make it back. Kyle was fourteen."

"I'm so sorry." I whispered.

My heart was aching for them. The pain they must have felt getting that news. Their happy family shattered in one move. I wanted to comfort him for that in itself. But I knew there was more to come. Jett nodded solemnly, then continued, his head lowered, his voice directed at his feet.

"Like I said, Kyle and him were close, losing dad devastated him. I was just as hurt, but I'd at least grown up with him. Kyle was so young, he needed him more than anyone. He started acting out, getting into trouble."

He looked up again, and a single tear fell from the corner of his stormy eyes.

"He died. A week after his twentieth birthday."

I felt like the air in the room had vanished. I knew it was coming, but that made the words no less heartbreaking. I slid from the desk and knelt on the floor at Jett's feet, reaching up a hand to cup his cheek and sweep the tear from his face.

"I'm so sorry."

I didn't expect the words to have any effect, they couldn't possibly, and yet the meaning was behind them. He didn't shy away from my touch, he didn't run or shout. I was relieved, grateful even, that he wasn't showing me the door like before. His hand rested over mine, pulling it down to his lips, where he pressed a soft kiss to my fingertips.

"Thank you." He whispered.

I still had questions, I still wasn't sure why he was so eager to push me away. But right now, I wasn't going to ask. He'd opened up, and it was a start. The rest could wait. I lowered my hand, it rested on his chest, my eyes catching sight of that small scar once again. I brushed my fingers over it and Jett darted from the chair. His sudden move caught me by surprise, my arm jolting back as I nearly fell backwards. He turned away from me, and picked up his shirt. I rose to my feet, unsure what it was that had caused the dramatic jump to his feet. Looking over to him, I saw the tattoo bold against his skin. The D and K that were inked there now making clear sense, his father and brother, forever with him. The initials printed on his back as clear as the memory of them was printed on his heart.

"We should get back to work." He said calmly, pulling his shirt over his head and turning towards me.

I wasn't sure whether he was about to announce this had been a mistake, or prepare a speech of it not happening again. In fact, there wasn't really anything about Jett that I was sure of. He caught me by surprise though as he walked closer, placing his index finger under my chin and tilting my head up. He smiled slightly, and kissed me softly on the lips, then pulled back and walked away, leaving me standing there wondering just how many more surprises he was going to provide.

It was like a weight had been lifted for the rest of the day. There was no more avoidance, and despite the heavy and heartbreaking topic we had spoken about, there was nothing but positivity in the air. In fact it was the most talkative and friendly Jett had really been since the day I met him. I could only assume that he felt better getting some of it off his chest.

Packing up at the end of the day, I changed out of the coveralls and began to head out.

"See you tomorrow." I said, popping my head into the office, where Jett was staring blankly at a sheet in front of him.

"Huh? Oh right, yeah, I'll see you in the morning."

"Everything okay?" I asked, taking a step closer.

"Yeah, it's fine. Stupid order form's messed up."

"Ah." I sighed, walking to his side, and reading over his shoulder.

"It's fine, you can go home." He half laughed, resting his hand over the page and turning his face towards me.

"I will, but after I've helped here." I replied firmly, moving aside his arm.

The moment my fingers touched him, I felt them tingle, it was like the feeling of heat against frozen skin. Like touching ice then being near a flame, the little buzz of heat that filters through you. I felt pulled to him again, drawn as if by a magnet. I longed to slide my hands over his arms, under his shirt, to kiss his neck and... I shrugged it off, not allowing myself to indulge, but the fight was hard. He was heaven on a plate, a man carved to be nothing but pure sexiness and temptation in human form. I channeled my inner strength, concentrating on the task at hand, attempting to keep my mind from straying. It didn't take long to figure it out, and I was glad of that fact. There was only so much longer of the rapidly increasing tension, I could take.

I'd nearly made it to the front door, when Jett's call halted my progress. He was leaning against the office door-frame, a smirk on his perfectly kissable lips, and his blue eyes glinting seductively at me.

"What are you doing Saturday night?"

Lounging around watching crappy tv and nursing a six pack probably. I thought to myself.

I could hardly answer that, but by Jett's small laugh, I figured he'd got the general idea at just how uneventful my life was.

"I want to take you somewhere. Will you come with me?"

His invitation caught me off guard, but I wasn't going to show it. I smirked back.

"Are you asking me out?" I teased.

He contemplated what I was asking and let out a small chuckle.

"In a way, I guess so." He shrugged happily.

"Okay, sure."

Another surprise, another puzzling moment. He was making my head spin, and I wasn't a fan of it. But him... that was a different matter, it was becoming very clear that I was a growing fan of that man, and even more, I couldn't wait for the weekend. This was going to be either a brilliant night, or a total disaster.