Chapter Twenty-Six: Ruari

Ciaran and I avoided each other like the plague.

Jean took up residence on the attic apartments with Cale and I. I don't know where Ciaran is staying but I'm too irritated at him to care. I haven't left the attic since our latest argument and have been isolating myself from everyone in the pack.

I don't know how she managed it but Jean successfully conned me into using Ciaran's room. Cale and I have been sleeping there while Jean sleeps on mine. We had to rearrange everything in my room and move some of the furniture to Ciaran's room to set up the equipment I asked her to bring.

It really pays off to have a father who could get his hands on almost anything. All the technology and equipment Jasper sent us is top of the line and with Jean's skills we're getting closer to uncovering the collector behind the raids.

We've been working tirelessly for three days since her arrival. Prior and Lorcan have been coming by to take Cale and Jean out every afternoon and Bran have been doing what I advised and stayed clear of Jean for the time being.

"The full moon is coming," Jean said out of blue while we were having breakfast.

I wiped off Cale's chin and just raised a brow in question.

"You're looking paler than usual," she sniped. "I spied Ciaran yesterday and he's not looking too hot himself."

I clenched my jaw at the mention of Ciaran but decided to ignore the barb. It's obvious that she's trying to get me to talk about him, about what happened the morning of her arrival. But I'm not going to tell her about that any time soon since I'm still having problems coping with it.

"Prior is taking me and Cale to the mall today. I think the other guy, the one I beat up the other day, is coming as well." She said. "Do you want to come? You do need some sun and fresh air once in a while you know."

I shook my head, no, and decided this is a good time to talk to her about Bran.

Jean had been with me long enough to realize that Bran reacted the way he did because he couldn't help himself. And with full moon coming it's best to know now what she intends to do with him so we could take the necessary precautions.

"Jean about Bran," I started and she stiffened right away. "We have to talk to talk about him sweetheart."

"I know but does it have to be now?" She groaned and crossed her arms across her chest, pointedly looking away from me.

"You're his mate Jean and as you happily reminded me, the full moon is coming. Bran just found you and he'd be very territorial. The call of moon would be too much for him to handle with you around. If you don't want to be marked I think it's best if you stay away from the pack house for a few days. Being around him right now is too much of a risk."

"Can't I just lock myself up in a room like you do?"

I shook my head sadly. Jean knows that I do more than just lock myself in a room. She'd never approved of my methods. To her, chaining my self during the full moon so I won't seek out another wolf to stave the craving of my body was unnecessary torture. She keeps telling me that there's no point in saving myself for someone who didn't want me in the first place. It was brutal but it was the truth.

Jean never understood my reasons or maybe I didn't know how to explain myself well enough. But it felt wrong. The thought of having someone hold or touch me intimately other than Ciaran is awful if not downright repulsive. If it's not him then there's no point on doing it.

Mating has always been sacred to me. I didn't have much growing up and I always thought that the only thing I could offer my mate was my self, my whole being. It doesn't matter if Ciaran never wanted what I could offer him the fact remains that I'm for him and him alone. And no matter what happens between us that wouldn't change.