38 Liar

Iris~~

The six of us emerge from the fireplace to find Erik sprawled on the couch, a bottle of wine in hand. We've spent the past eight hours strategizing and creating a plan for if the Amoris do come in either the scenario that Jonas and I are here or gone. This is the first time any of us have seen Erik since he slammed the door in my face this morning. His presence during our meeting, as Jonas noted, would have been extremely valuable. He's the strategist. He spent his childhood attending meetings with his father to determine how best to defend the Society from rebel attacks. His own attacks on the Estate were as brilliant as they were merciless.

Erik's neck and legs are propped up on pillows. On the blue rug beside the couch, two wine bottles are overturned, and there's a damp ring around the mouth of one bottle. Andrew presses his lips into a line, but the wine appears to be white at least and not red.

Erik raises his bottle to his lips, but he isn't sitting up enough, and more wine ends up on his face and the couch than in his mouth.

Colton crosses his arms while Vienna cringes,

Erik wipes the back of his hand across his mouth and pushes himself up. "Done with the funeral arrangements? Is the schedule open to debate or is it too late for me to say I'd like to give a eulogy?"

Basile works his jaw. "You had to be on the funeral committee to get a say."

Erik swings his legs off the couch and plants his feet on the floor. "I've had lots of time to think while you were in committee."

"So have we," Jonas drawls.

Erik angles himself toward Jonas, elbows on his thighs, his expression expectant as if he's waiting for someone to ask what he could possibly have been thinking about.

Jonas sighs. "And what conclusion did this thinking lead to?"

"You lie."

Jonas stiffens.

Erik's expression is taunting. He wants Jonas to contradict him. When Jonas doesn't, however, Erik breaks into laughter, falling back against the couch.

His laughter subsides, and he raises his bottle to his lips. Once finished, he thrusts his hand that holds the bottle toward Jonas. "You're taking her home."

Jonas's shoulders relax, and he unlocks his jaw. I feel the skin between my eyes drawing together. Jonas is hiding something.

"As much as I would love to return home, Iris and I are meeting with Alix tomorrow.

Erik shakes his head. "But you lie so much; how can I believe you."

Jonas clenches his hand. "Why don't you sober up and then we can have a conversation?"

Colton holds out his palm toward Jonas. "No. I'd like to see Erik make a fool of himself. When has Jonas ever lied?" he asks his cousin.

For over a year now, Jonas has had to hide he's Expired. Erik may suspect it, but he can't prove it. With Jonas's Mark mutilated, Erik would need an Amoris to reveal Jonas's Expiration Date.

"There was the whole Iris isn't actually Expired thing."

I roll my eyes even as I hope that's all this is about. "He wasn't the only one who lied about it."

Erik tilts to the side, falling against the armrest, squishing the pillows he had been resting his neck on. "I didn't change information in a database though. Jonas, do you remember when you told Iris you shot her, so I'd be your Tresais?"