3 ➳ you think she's pretty, don't you?

A/N: This is set just under 2 years after the last chapter :)

  MACKENZIE ZIEGLER 

The doctors office is a flurry of activity. People are hurrying in and out of rooms, the nurses are calling out the names of expected patients and exasperated parents are trying to calm their sick (and screaming) children. Thankfully, my two kids are happily playing with the toys from the toy basket, completely oblivious as to why we are here and not at Johnny's work instead.

Oliver's already had his two-year-old immunizations, and Evie had hers when she turned five two years ago. They're not sick at all, and unlike the rest of the parents sitting in this waiting room, I am the one seeking the advice.

Oliver eventually gets bored of playing with his sister and comes running over to me again, smiling to himself. Johnny and I are beyond proud of him– since Johnny's moved in last month, Oliver has learnt to string together much more coherent sentences. I think Johnny's been coaching him when I'm not around, judging from the beaming smiles he gives me when Oliver successfully says something like, "Can I please have more," or "I want to do it myself." They have a bond, those two, one that I can't even hope to match. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Johnny is the love of my life, and I'm beyond glad that the two boys get along.

"Mackenzie Orlando?" A voice asks, and I look up instinctively to see a man standing in the room with a clipboard, obviously expecting me.

He's a tall man, decked out in a casual suit. What seems to be a lab coat hangs off his wiry frame. With wispy white hair, and a stethoscope dangling from his neck, he looks like a textbook paediatrician.

I nod my head, smiling. "Hi." I greet him, standing up so we can shake hands.

"Nice to meet you." He says. "If you'll just follow me..."

I call to Evie and gesture for her to follow. Swooping up Oliver under his arms and placing him on my hip, I follow the man into his office with Evie trailing behind me, a book clutched in her hand (as always.)

"I'm Ryan, Mackenzie, feel free to take a seat." He says as he shuts the door behind me.

"Thank you." I reply politely, sitting down in a chair opposite his desk and gesturing for Evie to sit in the one next to me. My bare thighs stick to the plastic coating of the chair and I peel them off once I've sat down. Evie climbs up by herself and I give her a warm smile as if I'm trying to calm my own nerves my calming her.

"Right, Miss Mackenzie. It's my first time seeing you and the kids today. Is there any reason why you've switched clinics, ie is this a one-time thing or do we need to ask for access to your previous records?"

"No no," I clear my throat, "This is a one time thing."

"Okay." Ryan watches me from across the desk, spreading his hands out wide. "Tell me why you're here."

I bite my lip before I begin to talk. Finally, I blurt it out. "I think I might be pregnant... again."

Ryan nods.

"I've been getting terrible morning sickness; nausea, and vomiting, my periods obviously gone and I've started craving all types of weird foods. It's... exactly like it was when I was pregnant with Evie and Oliver."

"I see." He nods his head, obviously following where I'm coming from. And then I drop the bomb on him.

"Only the whole thing isn't possible, because my partner is infertile– well, supposedly anyway." I carry on, voice getting higher and more nervous.