20: Very Bad Timing

"Achoo!"

The cup of lukewarm water in my hands turns cold as soon as I sneeze. A sharp crack follows not a second later and looking down I see the water is frozen solid, the glass having broke under the expanding ice. I sigh as I carefully dump the cup into the nearby trash can, making sure not to drop any spare shards of glass on the ground.

"That makes it five," I mumble, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

Seeing as it is October thirty-first, I'm not too surprised by the amount of casualties my house is suffering today. Halloween is the one day out of the year where I can't control my magic, hence why I am home on a school Monday. Looking at the clock, I see that school should be getting out about now. I wish I am anywhere but here with my explosive magic. I have to miss work today as well, thankfully Josie was quite understanding and even encouraged me to take more days off.

I yawn and lay back on the couch, already feeling my magic being lower than usual. All this fluctuations and unpredictable effects of my magic have made me tired. Picking myself up I head to the kitchen, intending on another glass of water.

I know that, due to past experiences, anything I touch will be influenced by my magic if I let my focus slip for even a moment. The moment that I sneezed earlier is a good example of that. So when I grab the glass from the cabinet, I intend to drink my glass quickly so I wouldn't break this one like the last five cups.

This does not go like I had planned. A second after grabbing the glass from the cabinet, I notice it get a little warm. Ignoring it I go to fill it up when the glass cup grows unbearably hot in my hold. I quickly set it down on the counter, panicked at the heat. I stare at the white-hot fingerprints on the glass and as they spread through the cup, melting it into a molten puddle in seconds. I sigh, leaning over the puddle once it had cooled to a dark red.

"Now it's six."

Not knowing what to do with this hot mess, I retreat to the living room and lie down on the couch. I don't mean to fall asleep but when I open my eyes, it was to banging on my door.

"North," the person called on the other side, knocking a few more times. "Hey it's us. Are you alright?" I am too drowsy from my unexpected nap to recognize the voice completely. As I try to sit myself up, I notice I couldn't feel the couch. Papers swam through my vision, floating through the air as I dumbly stare after them, trying to make sense of it. The ceiling seems closer than I remember and when I look down at the floor, I see the couch there with it.

I'm fucking levitating. I didn't even know I could do this.

The knocking comes again, more persistent. Shutting off my magic is so much harder than turning the tap on. I try to pull myself closer the ground, griping the couch back before focusing on cutting the magic flow. It takes a moment, the knocking on my door not helping my concentration at all, before I manage to suddenly flop down on the couch. The papers that were previously floating around the room rustle down in a wave of confetti, covering the floor messily.

"Thank the Gods for window shades," I mumble, thinking about what could have resulted if the person at the door looked through the window. The knocking comes again, reminding me of their presence at my door. Groaning, I stand from the couch and walk to the front door, careful not to slip on any of the papers on the floor.

I run a hand through my hair as I make it to the door. "Geez, I'm coming," I grumble when the knock comes more urgently. Opening the door, I say, "What do you want-"

I stop when I look up, seeing Alex in front of me with the twins and the ever silent Josh beside him. Matthew's hand is raised, ready to knock on my door again. I freeze, my mind going blank. What should I do? What should I do?