Chapter 5

I remained seated on that plushed bed even after the male lycan returned with a female, a bowl in her hand and a small container in the other.

Red nails glimmered under the lights of the room and I found myself silently admiring the paint on the woman's fingernails; the color contrasted beautifully against the black nightgown she wore. 

"Have you slept?" The male lycan thundered from behind the female and my eyes lifted to slowly meet his own before lazily moving away to the opened door beyond him.

Nerves grew in my belly and my jaw suddenly felt tight with apprehension, leg muscles tensing. I refrained from jolting out the bed, knowing that the pain in my ankle would only worsen if I did so. 

At my silence the male said nothing, but allowed the woman to step forward and rest the grey bowl on the mattress. Chunky white liquid swirled in it and I was quick to look away from it as my stomach churned. 

"This is for you to drink." The female lycan's voice was so soft and almost gentle, but the icy cold in her grey-blue eyes were harshly calculating as they assessed me. "It shall help ease the pain in your ankle." 

My gaze lowered to where my foot currently was on the bed; stretched and bandaged ankle hanging off the edge. I heard the rustling of clothing and saw the bandage she produced to rest beside the bowl as she uttered quietly, "For your ankle." 

The lycans of the Klawmoon pack, on rare occasions, had provided us with bandages as well. They would watch as I patched the wounds they had given me, only to cut them open and watch them bleed again with their relentless beatings. 

My thin fingers lifted the bandage, my fingertips moving back and forth against them whilst the woman carried on, "I have pills as well for you. You are to take two of them after drinking your medicine." She gestured to the bowl with a pointed chin. "The pills will help with the pain as-"

"Am I a prisoner here?" 

I did not miss the woman's disgruntled expression when I interrupted her and I began to angle my body towards the door, just in case I needed to flee.

The male lycan's eyes became hooded as he stepped closer to the bed and the female shuffled backwards, allowing him to stand where she once did. 

 I braced myself for the devastating answer. I could feel heaviness in my chest, the lowering of my shoulders and the burn behind my eyes as I prepared for an answer I had already assumed. 

"No." 

Lie, I thought immediately, fingers curling around the sheets.

But his features were as sincere as his tone and nothing about his body language gave away that he was lying. But I knew lycans were extremely gifted at keeping their lies secret. 

"How do you know my name?" I asked the lycan, my body leaning backwards at his closeness, uneasy. His pleasant, clean, scent stung my nostrils and my lips pressed together firmly as I inhaled it.

He looked behind me momentarily, towards the barred windows and then returned his gaze to mine. "Some of the former prisoners of the Klawmoon pack told me." 

My head lifted warily, aching to say more but reluctant to have further conversation with a lycan I did not trust. 

"They are here as well," The lycan continued. "Not in this home, but in another, healing and sleeping." 

He looked me over pointedly and I heard the soft giggle from the female lycan. She was watching the two of us, evidently amused. However, her expression sobered once she caught sight of my harsh stare.