Chapter Ten

I couldn't speak.

"Think about it, Shuyan," Master Tobias said, then stood up. "And tell me your choice tomorrow night."

I stood up, shakily, and picked up my lantern. The candle was halfway melted. I didn't realize I was gone for so long.

"And then we can finish our game." I looked at our half finished game of chess.

"I don't think I can win," I whispered.

"No," he said, firmly. "There's always a way to turn the tables in chess. You just have to find it."

I chose to ignore that. Instead, I had a question.

"Master Tobias, are the other maids, Clo and Bethany, also working for their masters?"

He shook his head.

"No. However, the moment you choose to not accept this role and leave the house, one of them will be taking over your role." Take over my role? He looked away. "Even if you don't accept it, nothing is going to change—it's just going to be a different person doing what you were going to do."

The words hit me hard.

"I see. Thank you for telling me." I gripped the handle of my lantern tightly. "Goodnight, Master Tobias."

"Goodnight."

I walked out of the room, closed the door, and then peeked at the room down the hallway: Eugene's room.

Was it true this house and everything in it was nothing but a facade? That no one was safe?

No one, including me?

The wind blew, and without thinking, I turned around and down up the stairs to the servants living quarters, into the safety of my room and bed.

***

The next morning when I woke up, all the girls were awake already.

Clo was already dressed and applying on rouge and lipstick. Beth was still in her nightdress and brushing her hair, but at least awake.

Rhiannon, though, sat at her seat in the corner reading a book. Then, without warning, she turned up to look at me, despite me not making a sound, like she knew I was awake.

Like she knew my secret.

I immediately tossed back the covers, the cold air piercing me.

Clo and Beth turned to me simultaneously.

"Good morning, Shuyan!" Beth smiled.

"Good morning. How did your search go last night?"

"Huh?" I looked at Clo in a daze before remembering. "Oh yes, I found it."

"That's good," Rhiannon said. I only nodded sheepishly.

I couldn't look at her in the eye—not anymore. Now that I knew she was Mister Silas's spy and had been keeping a secret from us the whole time.

But wasn't I also lying to them, and soon might even be doing the same?

I felt sick at the thought.

"Anyways, we felt bad for you since you couldn't even wake up to the morning gong and allowed you some time," Clo went on, "but it's getting late. You should get ready."

"Yes, thank you."

I couldn't meet her eye.

After we got dressed and went down, we had breakfast in silence.