Chapter Twelve

The next morning when I saw Eugene again it was awkward. I hadn't planned for how to act around him after telling him a monologue about my life and praising him so foolishly.

Eugene, though, acted as though nothing happened.

"Good morning," he said, unruffled, smiling in bed, closing a book and placing it in his lap. His breakfast tray was on the table already, the plate cleared and teacup empty. "I was waiting for you."

"Waiting for me? Is something wrong?"

"Don't worry, nothing's wrong. It's just exciting for me to have something to look forward to each day. I also want to tell you something; I've decided I will go downstairs tonight for dinner and after dinner I will greet the new maids. So far, I've only met you."

"You will?" I didn't know how to react, but I smiled anyways.

"I haven't ate downstairs for a while, so I'm enthusiastic about the family gathering."

"You don't?" The surprise was evident in my voice. He chuckled.

"When you saw them, they were gathered together, but that was probably only for show. Silas and Tobias often eat in their room or skip meals after Father passed. The rest, well, they gather, but I wouldn't be surprised if the twins start taking after Silas and Tobias when they grow older. Augustin would read all the time if he could and Valentin doesn't like being around people."

"Oh, I see." I felt like Rhiannon could relate to the twins very well. 

"But I feel I should come down more, because when I do, they feel the need to do so too." He smiled a bit. "And I don't want what's left of our family to start falling apart."

"That's very kind of you." I realized I said that yesterday, too, so I stopped. "I'll be looking forward to seeing you tonight. As for now, I'll change your bedsheets, sir."

"Oh, yes. Thank you." He leaned out of the bed, supported by his cane. I changed his sheets. When I turned around, he stood up from the chair, but continued to stare at me instead of getting on the bed again. 

His eyes were pretty. An earthy green. Like nature. Something like a marble too, speckled with amber and at times brown.

"You know," he suddenly said. "I never made an effort to change myself before. I should thank you too."

"There's no need to thank me, but you're welcome, sir." I said.

"Today, something unpleasant might happen." His lips were set in a frown, brows knitted.

"What do you mean?"

"It's something important for me, but I hope what happens doesn't upset you. I simply want to let you know beforehand."

I sensed there was a reason he was being vague and I shouldn't overstep the boundaries, so I nodded.

"I see. I will keep that in mind." He gave me a small smile and I returned it. Then I looked away from his intense stare and left the room.

When I went downstairs to receive my new chores with the others, I saw the girls talking animatedly within themselves, even Rhiannon joining in.

"What's the matter?" I asked as I walked to them. They all turned around to face me.

"Shuyan!" Beth shouted, trembling with excitement, eyes shining, "apparently the mysterious Master Eugene is coming out of his room and eating dinner outside tonight! And he will meet us!"

"Oh," I said, putting on my best surprised face. "Who did you hear it from?"

"His valet, Matthew, told us he told him this morning. Are you not excited?"