CHAPTER 13: ICKY THUMP

Click-click-click

Click-click-click.

Tom held up his hands, motioning for everyone to stay where they were.

Nobody moved.

On the other side of the door, something moved, a scuffling sound scratching against the wood.

Carefully, Tom picked up the gun that he'd left on top of one of the cases and crept stealthily towards the source of the sound. As he walked past, Lena vehemently shook her head at him, her eyes wide, but he raised his palm to her and continued, reaching the door where he leaned in close, cocking his head to listen.

Holding out his hand, he held up one finger.

One. One Grey.

How did he know this? How could he possibly know for sure? Either he had some way of detecting other Greys or he was lying, and this was some kind of trap, luring us into believing there was only one out there, when in fact, the threat was far greater.

With his head still tilted, his eyes found mine, holding my gaze.

I could barely breathe.

I had trusted Tom with every fibre of my being. There was nothing he had ever done or ever said that could have made me doubt him. As unbelievable as it sounded, he was just that guy. If he was the one standing here now, looking at me and telling me to trust him, I wouldn't even have questioned it and I hated that it was his eyes I was staring into and yet there were so many questions.

With a turn of his head, he motioned for Lena to get up and move towards the side of the room where I stood. Seemingly without question or disagreement now – something which pained me for so many reasons – Lena retrieved her handgun from beside her and did as Tom had instructed, shooting me a wary look as she approached. She gripped her handgun steady in both hands, pointing it at the floor, her feet positioned slightly apart. Even with her injured arm, she still looked every inch the trained professional, ready for whatever was coming, making me feel like a total amateur.

Looking at all of us, Tom demonstrated his plan, mimicking opening and closing the door.

My stomach roiled, a kick of desperate fear that made me gasp.

He was going to let the monster in. He intended to trap the Grey in here with us.

Jace moved quickly to gather our SA80's and I took mine from him numbly, staring at it like I'd never seen a gun before in my entire life. Jace carefully removed the safety catch on his rifle, and feeling like I was on automatic, I did the same. My heart beat hard in my chest, a resounding thump-thump-thump that filled my ears with a rush of noise.

Tom pressed himself flat against the wall and, reaching out, he gently slid back the bolt, the tiny scrape of metal on metal making me wince.

On the other side, the scratching, shuffling noises stopped abruptly.