31 | Party Girls Don't Get Hurt Pt. 1

✦ ✦ ✦

RAINA FIDGETED WITH THE CUT OF HER LONG black and gold dress. The slit crept high and showed off a little more of her leg than she was used to. It was exactly the type of dress that she would never wear.

Yet there she was, posing before the mirror in the foyer of Ebony House, scowling at the flashing brown skin of her thigh as she tried to pull the pieces of the dress together to maintain her dignity.

"Why did you make me get this again?" She growled, blinking at her reflection through mascara-thick lashes, and eyelids dusted heavily with gold and lined in blues and blacks, making her brown eyes seem all the more entrancing.

She nearly didn't recognise herself, which, she supposed, was the point of a costume party.

"Stop your whining," sang Freya from her perch upon the bottom stair in the foyer, her phone tucked neatly between her stocking-covered knees. She glanced up and gave Raina an appraising once-over with those chilling eyes. "You look fucking hot, Cleopatra."

Raina flushed and tried even harder to pull her skirt together.

Mayella, who was reapplying a layer of lipstick in the mirror behind Raina, turned and played with the tube of Chanel Rouge Allure Ink in Melancholia. "Where do I put this? A purse doesn't go with the outfit."

She was right. Maye was dressed as a ninja, if ninjas wore a little less clothing. Either way, ninjas didn't carry purses.

"In your bra," Raina suggested.

Maye glanced down, eyeing her chest, encased in black crisscrossing leather bands which left very little to the imagination in regards to Mayella's well-endowed chest area. "Won't fit," she decided and frowned.

"Sorry." Raina shrugged. "Small boobs," she explained. Though, this outfit made her look utterly different.

Freya clicked her tongue from where she sat on the staircase. "I can suggest a few other places to put it."

Her tone was so innocent it took Maye a while. But when she got it, her face twisted and she let out a disgusted sound. "Freya!"

Raina chuckled at the wicked grin crossing their friend's face as she pretended to not see Maye rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

"You're chirpy today," observed Raina.

Freya shrugged and rose from the stair suddenly, stretching her slender limbs like a cat. Unlike the rest of them, Freya wasn't fully decked out since she had been notably uninvited yesterday. Raina wondered how much of what happened yesterday had to do with Freya's peachy mood.

After the kiss outside the dining hall, her friend had walked with them back to Ebony House, hiding smiles over her shoulder, acting like an actual teenage girl for once.