twenty six.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX,
decisions

   THE NIGHT WAS long and tense, Shane's announcement of Lori Grimes pregnancy not only putting the survivors in shock, but making her son upset

Samantha had been the one to calm him down, to shed some light on the situation until Lori finally apologized to Carl, explaining her reasoning - and soon, he was too excited to even remember why he was angry, the idea of having a new little brother or new little sister the one thing on his mind. The godmother and godson even came up with names, waiting for the arrival of their missing group members.

Sunlight was peaking through the curtains of the windows, Carl's head feeling light on Samantha's lap as he slept peacefully. She smiled down at him, running her fingers through his hair.

"He adores you."

Samantha lifted her head up and found his mother at the doorway, staring at Carl with clear love in her brown eyes. The twenty year old had forced her to go rest a few hours back, and telling by how refreshed Lori looked - it had been a good thing Samantha did.
"Can't blame him, I'm simply amazing." She replied cheekily, and Lori chuckled, sitting next to them and placing her hand on her son's head.

"I remember when he was younger and you had to leave, he would cry and cry until he put himself to sleep," There was a faint smile on her lips as she met Samantha's face. "He would kill me if he knew I told you this."

The young woman giggled. "Not if I already knew," She said, mirroring Lori's smile. "Shane would tell me all the time."

At the mention of her older brother, all smiles dwindled and faded away. Samantha caught this and frowned, her eyes calculating. Shane had lied to get Lori back - and she could understand why.

But after, the past lovers had a conversation that Samantha tried listening to but couldn't hear their whispers. When Shane left the room, she found Lori completely unsettled. "Shane...he..." She paused, staring at her son and nothing else. "He hasn't been the same since that night-"

"They killed Otis - Him and Nate." Samantha confirmed in a hushed tone.

Lori looked up at her, but she had already suspected it. "He scares me, Sam," Her eyes became watery, but she dared not cry. "He thinks what me and did was real. He thinks..." Her words trailed off, words being left unsaid and the reality of Lori Grimes becoming too fatal to even begin to explain.

But Samantha understood, and her understanding made her fear for her brother even more. The person that Shane was had been slowly rotting somewhere within him and the new one was trying too hard to bury him - but she wouldn't believe it. Her big brother was somewhere in there, and only she had the power to dig six feet under.