The Big Day pt. 2

DRACO’S POV 

I had never seen this many people at Malfoy Manor in my life. The hallways were filled with old classmates from Hogwarts, professors (because apparently Hermione had insisted on inviting every single professor we’d ever had at Hogwarts, and they’d all accepted, because she was every one’s favourite student), since neither Hermione nor I had much family there was mostly family of friends, the remaining members of the Order. I was surprised to see Ron arriving with the members of the Weasley family who hadn’t been here all day.

Ginny whispered to me that he had though Hermione could use the backup of an old friend. Despite what I thought of him, I knew how much he meant to Hermione, and I greeted him with as much friendliness as I could muster.

There was still about half an hour to the wedding when the stream of people arriving slowed down. Ginny had been running around frantically with Mrs. Weasley and Narcissa, making sure everything was ready for the ceremony and for the reception afterwards. I found Ginny in the dining hall where she was lighting candles, muttering indistinctly to herself.

         “Why are you lighting them now?” I chuckled as I leant against one of the many tables filling up the room. She sighed irritably. I found joy in the fact that she was way more stressed about all of this than I was.

         “I need to make sure it looks right before the reception begins. So I’m lighting the candles now.” She stated simply without turning to look at me, “Ugh, we should have gotten those candles that never burn down. It would have made everything easier.” She continued lighting the last candles in silence. Then she walked towards me and looked around the room.

         “What do you think?” She smiled.

         “It looks great, Ginny.” I answered. She flicked her wand and they lights went out one by one.

         “How are you feeling?” She asked me after another moment of silence. I shrugged, not really sure how to respond. I was excited, happy but also nauseous. Was that normal? I was trembling with nervousness. “Hermione is basically a nervous wreck.” She continued, making me feel a little better about being so fidgety myself. “She all but yelled at me when I went to check up on her.” Ginny bit down on her lip and looked away from me.

         “What are you hiding, Ginny?” I sighed, recognising the signs. She was pretty bad at keeping secrets, so when she knew something she had a hard time keeping it to herself.

         “Nothing. I think you should go talk to her. Maybe it can help calm you both down.” She changed the subject quickly.

         “I can’t talk to her. It’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding.” I sighed, rolling my eyes at Ginny.

         “Talk to her through the door. Just go talk to her. You both need it.”

         “Sure. I'll go.” I sighed, knowing I couldn’t win this discussion. Ginny smiled triumphantly when I left her.

Not five minutes later I stood outside the preparation room, as Ginny as referred to it all day. I knocked on the door three times before I opened the door slightly, just enough to hear her clearly but not see her.

         “Hermione?” I heard her gasp when she heard my voice.

         “What are you doing Draco?” She said sounding slightly panicked, I smiled knowing for sure that it wasn’t just me who was hit by wedding jitters.

         “I just wanted to talk to you, make sure you’re okay. Ginny told me you were a little snappy with her earlier.”

         “The wedding is in ten minutes, Draco. Couldn’t you have waited until then?” she hissed.

         “Hermione?”

         “I’m sorry, Draco. I’m just a little-“

         “Nervous? I know. Me too. Just take a deep breath, love. In an hour you and I will be married and everything will be perfect.” I said trying to calm both hers and my nerves. I hear her sniffle and I wanted nothing else but to walk in that room and hug her. I heard her move around in the room, and then she came to the door. She stuck her hand through the crack and I took it, lacing my fingers through hers.

         “I love you.” She whispered and I could hear by the way her voice shook that she was close to tears.

         “Don’t cry, my love.” I told her squeezing her hand. I brought it up to my mouth and kissed it. “I'll see you soon, Mrs. Malfoy.” I said as I let her go.

I went to the huge hall where the ceremony was to be held. It was filling up with people, they were all buzzing excitedly, talking to friends and family they hadn’t seen in a while.

         “Are you ready?” I jumped slightly at the sudden appearance of Harry but smiled gratefully when he put a supportive hand on my shoulder.

         “I guess.” I shrugged, “I don’t think I can get anymore ready by now.” Harry chuckled and smoothed out his jacket. The talking inside stopped abruptly, and music began playing.

         “Let’s do it then.” Harry sent me one last smile just as Narcissa walked to my side. I walked her through the room to her seat in front, she kissed my cheek before she sat down, and I went to stand in front of everyone, waiting for Ginny to walk up the floor. Harry was both my best man, but he was also going to give away Hermione, since her parents still had no memory of her.

But after way too long of waiting I started growing weary. Ginny still hadn’t shown up. People were looking around talking in hushed voices. The music kept playing. Then she suddenly showed up at the door in the other end, she was waving frantically with a piece of paper in one hand. When I didn’t move, she ran through the room.

         “I’m so sorry.” She whispered, handling me the paper. It was folded twice and had my name on the front. I unfolded it feeling queasy.

My heart dropped when I read it. Ginny put a hand on my arm as I read it again.

         “You need to get out of here.” She whispered, but I didn’t move. Then I felt her leave, and a moment later my mother had a hold of me.

         “Come with me Draco.” She said sternly, and just like when I was a kid, I couldn’t refuse her when she spoke in that tone. I walked numbly with her out of the room, not even caring that people were talking now. Just as we left I heard Ginny yelling to get the attention of everyone in the room, and I knew she was telling them the short version of what was in the note. But I tuned out and just let myself get pulled away from everyone by my mother. A weird numbness settled over me, and I didn’t feel like talking to anyone. So my mother sat me down in an empty room far away from everyone, and after making sure she couldn’t do anything else, she left me alone.

I leant against the cold walls and closed my eyes. She was gone. Again. And this time She hadn’t left any clues as to where she might’ve gone, nothing but that fucking note. I’d lost her. I’d known it all along; ever since we lost our child I’d known it. I fisted my hands and then realised I still had the note in my hand when I felt and heard it crinkle.

I decided to look at it again even though I already knew what it said.

Draco, my love… I know I should tell you this face to face. I just couldn’t. I’m so sorry.

I had to get away for a while. Everything is just too overwhelming right now. It is too soon for this wedding. You never asked me if I wanted to do it now, you just assumed that it would make me happier. When, in truth, I haven’t been happy for months, not since before the accident. Ever since that I haven’t been able to think of a future with you, it is just too tough for me.

I love you. Don’t think I don’t love you. I just need a break from everything.

Don’t worry about me, I’m with a friend. But don’t look for me either. I need space. Please don’t look for me.