18 - Girls Don't Fight

The sword sliced through the air like a bullet, going straight through the head. Insides flew everywhere. The lifeless body fell backward with a dull thunk. At the other end of the floor, a shadowed figure stood.

She swept her long blonde hair back and adjusted her goggles, striding over to the fake mannequin. She yanked out her very real diamond sword out, brushing the stuffing off, sighing.

"It needs to be faster."

"False!"

She jumped back from the mangled dummy, whirling around to find a man, arms crossed, glaring at her from where she had just been.

"What did we say about coming up here at night?"

False groaned inwardly, knowing she had been caught. She glanced up at the night sky to avoid his eyes. "Sorry, Dad..."

"Come to bed now."

"But--"

False's father noticed the chopped-up mannequin behind his daughter and sighed audibly. "Not again..."

"Look, look, I'm coming, okay?" False bolted across the deck of the ship and into her cabin below.

False's cabin was right next to the machinery of the ship, which helped the whole vessel fly. Normally the grinding and chugging would have helped her sleep, but tonight they just kept her awake.

To pass the time, False examined her sword. She had worked hard to forge the blade and craft the handle. Then, she spent months fully enchanting it with as many powers as she could. She took pride in knowing that her weapon was one of a kind.

A knock on her door made False turn around. Her dad was standing at the door. She braced herself for a lecture, but instead, he walked towards her and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Good night, sweetie. Try not to sneak out again."

False nodded, feeling a pang of guilt, as she knew she would break that rule.

After her dad left, False waited about an hour or so, scribbling in her leather-bound journal, then snuck out again with her sword, back onto the deck.

The night sky was dotted with millions of stars. False had spent years lying down on the very deck she was standing on with her father, spotting the planets and mapping constellations. By memory, False mouthed out the constellations as she saw them.

The airship was high enough so that False couldn't see the ground below them. The large balloon above her that kept the ship afloat had the Greek letter Π emblazoned over a deep purple background.

False took advantage of her quiet solitude and pulled out her sword, slashing at an invisible opponent. She carried on with this routine for a few more minutes, then heard murmurs. She turned around, praying it wasn't her father, and then frowned when she saw who it really was.

She raised her voice to catch their attention. "Sneaking out again?"

The group of boys clustered near the edge of the ship looked behind them, spotting False. One of them scoffed, looking at the glittering sword False held. He spoke in a mocking tone, imitating her voice.

"Practicing your technique again?"

False bristled. These boys lacked intelligence but made up for it with cockiness. "This isn't about me. You know how much trouble you'll be in if the captain catches you?"

The boys leered, towering over here like they were superior.

"We could say the same about you."

"Didn't your daddy tell you to leave fighting to the men?"

"She's just a wannabe fighter. Probably doesn't even have any skills."